Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How to determine Model Year? - Yamaha Warrior 350cc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MYSTERY SOLVED...

The 10th digit is 'T' so it's a 1996!

Somehow I KNEW it almost definitely wasn't a 1995 like I was told!

The frame had been re-painted (with at least 3 or 4 coats!) - so I couldn't see the VIN# even though it's engraved into the frame...

So I did end up having to damage the paint job, since I had to scrape it down with some steel wool to reveal the VIN... But I was certainly relieved to see it was even THERE, and not filed off... Now I'm not as worried that it may have been stolen by one of the previous owners!

And also, I'd rather know I'm buying the CORRECT YEAR of OEM parts, as opposed to having a near-perfect paint job but NOT knowing the damn VIN# of my Warrior! Besides, it's nothing I can't fix with a can of primer and red spray paint (or even just a sticker to slap over it!).

Speaking of VIN#'s - Is there some kind of online service similar to Carfax that lets you run your ATV's VIN# to check it's past history???

If so, could anyone provide me with the link?

Ahhh... It feels good to have one more mystery/problem solved. Now it's on to the next repair (fixing the paint job)!

Thanks again everyone - couldn't have done it without you!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 07-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by MikeB82781
MYSTERY SOLVED...

The 10th digit is 'T' so it's a 1996!

Somehow I KNEW it almost definitely wasn't a 1995 like I was told!

The frame had been re-painted (with at least 3 or 4 coats!) - so I couldn't see the VIN# even though it's engraved into the frame...

So I did end up having to damage the paint job, since I had to scrape it down with some steel wool to reveal the VIN... But I was certainly relieved to see it was even THERE, and not filed off... Now I'm not as worried that it may have been stolen by one of the previous owners!

And also, I'd rather know I'm buying the CORRECT YEAR of OEM parts, as opposed to having a near-perfect paint job but NOT knowing the damn VIN# of my Warrior! Besides, it's nothing I can't fix with a can of primer and red spray paint (or even just a sticker to slap over it!).

Speaking of VIN#'s - Is there some kind of online service similar to Carfax that lets you run your ATV's VIN# to check it's past history???

If so, could anyone provide me with the link?

Ahhh... It feels good to have one more mystery/problem solved. Now it's on to the next repair (fixing the paint job)!

Thanks again everyone - couldn't have done it without you!

Cheers,
Mike
congrats! good to hear you found it, thats a bigger relieve then you'd think. you can have the local pd check it? i had mine when i bought mine a few months ago to make sure it wasn't stolen/fake/whatever so i could get a title for mine(insurance purposes). If there is a site that does vin checks on these things i'd love to know as well though to run mine through just to see where its been/where it came from originally, all i know is mines from wisconsin somewhere.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice - it definitely does feel good to know the exact 'identity' of my Warrior now!

However, I'm a bit hesitant to call up my local police department to have them register and/or run the VIN# - because what if, by some small chance, it HAS been stolen at some point in the past? ...

I imagine the police would then have the right (AND the authority) to show up at my home and arrest me for possession of stolen property (a felony here in Upstate NY, given the value of the ATV - greater than $1,000), even though I legitimately obtained it from a friend. Maybe he'd get in trouble, too, if they really wanted to pursue it...

Granted, the chances of it being stolen are small. But then again, I do not have the title (my friend never got it from the previous owner) and I don't have a receipt/bill of sale because my friend literally gave it to me for free (and therefore, there WASN'T any 'sale')...

I guess you could compare it to calling the police and saying "Hi, a buddy of mine just gave me this [relatively new] car, for free, and I've been driving it around but I don't have the title. Can you check this VIN# to see if my car is a stolen car?". You'd essentially be reporting YOURSELF for committing a crime (or multiple crimes!).

Maybe I'm just being paranoid (which could certainly be the case), but it just seems like a potentially bad idea that could blow up in my face. Not to mention:

#1) I don't want the police to even KNOW who "the kid with the four wheeler in ___________ neighborhood" is, OR where he lives, just in case some random neighbor gets ****ed and calls them saying "some kid's been ripping up and down the streets around here on an ATV, blah blah blah" (which, of course, IS illegal!), although I try to keep the noise and on-road-use to an absolute minimum. I'd basically be telling the police right where to find me!

#2) As I already mentioned, I have no way to prove that I'm truly the "rightful owner".

#3) Here in NYS, you need to register your ATV with the State government. You kindly mail them $50+ (ANNUALLY - and it's probably even more now), and a copy of your quad's title, your driver's license, and proof of residence, and they send you this nice little reflective license plate for the ATV that you are obligated - by law - to display on the back of the quad at all times. It conveniently allows ANY cop to immediately identify you AND determine your name, where you live, etc...

I admit, I'm no angel - If I'm 100 yards from a trail system covering 50+ square miles of thick forest, and a cop turns on his lights and sirens to pull me over, you bet your behind that I'm downshifting and speeding UP to reach those trails (which his car/suv definitely couldn't navigate). I'm not risking having my quad confiscated (which again, they WOULD have the right to do!)...

So, long story short, it's not the $50+ annual registration fee I really care about - it's the fact that I'd basically be PAYING the police AND the State of New York to be able to identify AND track me (by the license plate) and maybe even confiscate my quad! No thanks - I think I'd rather keep it un-registered and stay OUT of any database of ATV riders they may have....

Sorry for the novel, and time to go to work - late again!

Does my logic above make sense, or am I an *** for "not following the rules/laws"?

If it were you, what would YOU do?

Thanks again, guys... Pics to come later on!

Cheers,
Mike

Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

pm me the VIN... i'll have my buddy run it