Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

550 Grizzly Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 550 is a supurb machine. I will go out on a limb and say its better than the honda offerrings.
Your not going out on a limb,far from it. In this 500 4x4 comparison the 500 Honda Rubicon came in dead last even to the 450 Grizzly,could you imagine the 550 grizzly in its place.

The Rubicon cost more than the 420 by a long shoot.

500 Class Clash

Old 05-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Cntryrockboy
Im also thinking of getting myself a Grizzly 550 FI, the EPS part im still wondering about if it personally. My grandpa is going to help me get it cause i want my own and stuff. It seems like a amazing ATV and stuff and it has me really wanting one. Polaris looks awesome but is way way to heavy! The Suzuki is so so and honda to me lacks the engine CC and doesnt look as mean as the Grizzly. Semi, did you get yours for cash or was it a loan? Im going to have 3K cash and try for a 3K loan to get mine.
i bought mine in cash but it was the same deal either way. they said they could finance it locally. And if you can't afford EPS, i wouldn't worry. I chose NOT to get it. Its very easy to steer. I couldn't justify paying another $700 for power steering. I have never had it before and was always fine. It's a nice feature, but it's not needed IMO. Would i like it? sure, but i look at it as a niceity instead of neccesity.

My second choice was the KQ, but i couldn't get over how small the racks are on that quad. They may as well jsut leave them off they are useless. Honda was in the mix but way too expensive for less tech and a smaller machine.

BTW, i have had no issues with my exhaust. I only have 50 or so miles so far, but it's been just fine. I think yamaha addressed the issue perhaps.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default Ok

The EPS to me is as you said, a nice thing but not needed, im used to driving without it but ive just been thinking of it really. Im going in tommorow to look at another dealer to see what kind of a deal they will do.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default Wow

I got to test drive the 550FI with EPS and Man oh man oh man. That EPS is just incredible! It just is not right. I got to try the EPS on a 850 Vtwin Polaris and that was even more insane but ehhhhh on polaris, I`m still thinking but my eyes are looking more into getting the Grizzly! That is if i can get a deal on one!

Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

lol i member when i worked at the yami suzuki dealer when the grizzlys had just ben released, it was end of the day and everybody grabs the atv keys in the cabinet next to cash register and picks a quad out front outside on display and drives it back to the garage and i hopped on a grizzly 700 and i didnt know yet that they had eps and i started to drive it back and i took off pretty quick and stuff and i was so confused to why it felt so damn weird and feather like it was funny as hell.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Trailblazer
Default Nice

That had to been alittle freaky!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Cntryrockboy
I got to test drive the 550FI with EPS and Man oh man oh man. That EPS is just incredible! It just is not right. I got to try the EPS on a 850 Vtwin Polaris and that was even more insane but ehhhhh on polaris, I`m still thinking but my eyes are looking more into getting the Grizzly! That is if i can get a deal on one!
The 850 is a parallel twin

Old 05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Ah hmm, I always thought it was a V twin, even then, a 850 would be monster in power, Way over my limits lol.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

The throttle profile of the 850 is very mild thru the first third of the stroke, and more aggressive thru the second 2/3's. Easy to ride, very mild mannered until you mash it, at which point it's a whole different beast. What I notice more is places I used to do 20 mph I now look down and I'm doing 40.

Way more power than the Grizzly 700 LOL!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

Dang, ya man thats alittle to much power then I honestly need or can probaly handle. Im only 150 and that anit much on a 70HP bike lol

Quick Reply: 550 Grizzly Feedback