Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

need help 2000 yamaha warrior

Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help 2000 yamaha warrior

my first question is about the sound of the motor. i have a tappong sound in the motor. i have been told its the lifters and its normal for a warrior. id like to hear this from some other warrior owners. and if anyone could make a video of there motor running mainly up cloce so i can hear the engine rinning. rather than the exhaust so i could compare that to mine. would be great.

and question #2 that im mose worried about. the warrior runs strong. starts easy. but when i first start it when it hasnt been started in awhile. it smokes. pretty thick white smoke. it dont smell like oil at all. it smells really strong of gas. i know whiteish is water ot oil. but i know for a fact its not water. and it dont smell like oil in the exhaust. top end was rebuilt a few months ago. yesterday evening it smoked worse than it ever has. but it was colder out i dont know if that had anything to do with it. im stumped on this if you know anything i sure could use the help. when i warm it up the smoke goes away. untill i let it cool down again.

its almost all stock it has a k&n filter. and the snorkel broke off of the airbox and the spark arrestor is out of the exhause. thaks for any help

Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 1999 yamaha warrior and it makes a tapping sound on the top end also. I dont like it either, but I have checked the valve clearences and they check out. I have been running the thing for the last 3 months with no problem, my buddies 1997 does the same thing. I believe it to be ok, as long as you have checked the valve clearances first. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

My warrior engine makes that noise too. It must be fairly normal because I just bought an engine with a rebuilt bottom end and top end that was completely checked over. My warrior also puffs a little condensation or something when I first start it in the cold.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah im starting to not be somuch worried about the tapping sound. im most concerned about the smoke now. i really thing that its more than consensation. i dont know if its trying to flood. if too much fuel could burn white like flooding the plug. im lost on this. i dont know what burning oil looks like but i assume it would smell like burning oil. this smells real strong of gas. so if anyone knows of what would cause fuel to blow white smoke and how to fix it. im lost. thank you for the replys on the tapping soind. im going to check valves tonight. im lost on working on this thing.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

warriors when shut off make a loud clunk sometimes, thats from the one-way starter clutch, also warriors have noisey valves, i think its from the large tappets on the end of the rockers that make it so loud, if it only smokes on start up but disapears when warmed up then it just might be running a little rich most likely, take a look at the plug and see what that looks like, they also blow smoke like that when valve seals are worn or rings are goin bad.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah i know the starter noise. ive looked into it and i think the white is a wet plug too much fuel on start up. i just had the motor rebuilt and bored. payed almost as much for all of that as i did the bike. now im an idiot it looks like i overfilled the oil. and because of that its now smoking pretty bad on startup and not going away. just getting lesser. does this mean i need to have the rinds replaced again. or just let some of the oil out. and it will be allright.
like i sayd it still runs good. and has only about 15-20 hours on rebuild fixed rich carb. no smoke on startup. overfilled oil and smoke again. i didnt fix anything lol. i have it showing full to the top line not screwing the dopstick in just sitting it in there. but its sure acting like its overfull and didnt start until after i filled the oil today. anyone else dumbeneough to overfill your oil. and did draining it out fix it