Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

oil for a raptor 660

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil for a raptor 660

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Is synthetic better oil than conventional? defiantly yes,so why not use it. </end quote></div>
$$$$$$............synthetic gets just as dirty, just as fast as dino oil. When oil gets water in it, (some mistakenly think their quads are boats) synthetic needs changing just as soon as dino.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:05 PM
RIP Dear Friend

You can get non energy conserving motor oil (no starburst on the label) most anywhere I thought or around are local you can. I purchased some Pennzoil SAE 10W-40 at Rural King. I will look the next time I am at Walmart.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:21 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Is synthetic better oil than conventional? defiantly yes,so why not use it. </end quote></div>

$$$$$$............synthetic gets just as dirty, just as fast as dino oil. When oil gets water in it, (some mistakenly think their quads are boats) synthetic needs changing just as soon as dino.</end quote></div>

Yamalube is conventional oil with the price of synthetic oil,

yes they both get dirty but synthetic properties are will to stand up to more temperature ranges and will last longer than dinosaur oil.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Well I haven't seen any oil except for non detergent lawn mower oil that isn't marked "Energy conserving" </end quote></div>
Just like Raptoryfn660r said I don't know where you live, but it's not that way around here. I was at a store today and out of 7 different brands of oil, I could only find 1 that was energy conserving. This is a nation wide chain store so I doubt it was just my store.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>If you quote me take more than the first sentence before you say I'm wrong about something. </end quote></div>
You said "If you use regular automotive oil it can make the clutch slip." I said that is not true of all automotive oils, only the energy conserving oils. Is this not true?
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I just didn't want to see someone put the wrong oil in and toast their clutch </end quote></div>
I don't either. That's why I say DO NOT use energy conserving oil in a wet clutch quad. No star burst, your god to go.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Yamalube is conventional oil with the price of synthetic oil, </end quote></div>
Agree with you 100% TLC. That is why I never use the stuff.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>yes they both get dirty but synthetic properties are will to stand up to more temperature ranges and will last longer than dinosaur oil. </end quote></div>
Again, i don't worry about temp to much because the 15-40 I use is good down to 0 and above 100. I don't ride below or above those two.
As far a wearing out. I see what you are saying, but dirty oil is dirty oil and needs to be changed regardless if it breaks down or not.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

its better to be safe than sorry i guess i know of a repair shop 20 or so miles away them might carry yamalube hopfully i used to get in a nearby yammie dealer but the went out of buisness awhile ago i appriciate the imput though, i ride in the northeast up in maine most of my riding is in the gravel pits(some trail riding but not much its kinda a pain my 01 rap is geared way to high in 1st im on the clutch alot on tight trails plus its stage 2 cammed jetted and piped not a trail setup) its ridden hard all day an its dusty plus i think the clutch might be gettin soft its hard to tell it happens so gradually but with a good ear it sounds sometimes the rpms dont quite coinside with the pull not bad barely noticable and it feels a tiny bit slacker this year? cant tell maby its my imagination but i think it should have a new clutch does anybody know of the best reasonabley priced clutch kit for a mildly warmed over 660 and i need to go 1 tooth down on the front sprocket to slow 1st gear down. thanks people. ride safe but still ride hard crashin sucks but it means ur riding plus chicks dig scars

Old 07-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

yes synthetic usually in the long run is better than regular oil im not gonna argue with any1 if you want more info go talk to Amsoil, this is just what ive heard from them and others and my father who is a long time masters diesel mechanic, synthetic is good stuff, another choice raptorguy, just buy the oil diesel trucks use, it works great awesome stuff to keep the durablilty up on your bike, i prefer either Ursa or Rotella. and yes its wet clutch compatible because ofcourse it goes in a diesel motor, i use Rotella T 15w40 myself and its great stuff in most all weather, another thing with the diesel oils is there higher in iron, phosphorus and a few other little ingredients that are very healthy for tranny parts, also try avoiding the switching around of oils find good stuff and stick to it its not good to run a bike around with one oil then switch to a synthetic or something.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the time and opinions I did notice at the parts store most major oil brands make "motorcycle"oil for motors with wet clutches that claim they meet the standrds of oem os better...the synthetic mobil 1 motorcycle was $10 a quart! thats almost double "automotive"oil the must figure they can rape ya cuz small engins dont hold alot so they can make the same $ as a car oil change the few extra additives cant cost that much....