Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My Name Says It All

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raptors Suck,,, no kidding,,,this is not a flame or anything.. I own one and I hate it. Its funny to think back 3-4 months ago, when this forum was, "NEW KING OF THE HILL" "RAPTOR BEATS BANSHEE". I know you all remember that talk, thats what talked me into buying mine. Now read the forums, "NOT WHAT THE MAGAZINES SAID THEY WERE" "NOT THAT FAST" and the sad thing is that its all true. Raptors cannot beat banshees. You guys are fooling yourselves. I know this from experience. I have been riding dirtbikes and quads for 16 years, so like most of you are saying now, no its not the rider. It the darn bike. I've been spanked by quadzillas, banshees, dirt bikes galore, and of course the 250r's. Dunes and dirt. Sure, us big bore 4 stroke guys get them off the line with a good launch, considering if we can keep the stupid front ends down enough, but halfway up the hill, its over. I've tried modifying my bike, dual intake, pipes, jetting, etc. and it has never ran as good as it did stock. To be honest, with all of my mods, I raced a stock raptor up a hill at the dunes, and half way up, he fricken pulled past me. My bike has nothing. I have a $8000 toy that is suppose to be sooooo baddddd and it sucks. No one knows how to jet and intake these bikes. Its trial and error. What works for my buddies doesn't work for me and vice versa. If anything, I'm putting mine back to stock and be patient until someone really makes these craptors run like they are suppose to. Yah, big bore kit,,thats what you are all saying now, well, its already the biggest, now you want me to drop $3000 on a big bore kit and probably another 2 g's on accesories to get it to run right???? Its not worth it guys, if you want to go fast, build a stroke for what we paid for our "stock" bikes and go to the hill, and punish us poor 4 stroke folks to death, because that is what will happen. We all know, we are just afraid to admit it because of our egos and our 10000 dollar investment!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong now, I do like some things on the bike, but we have all been fooled into thinking that this is the new "KING OF THE HILL" Well let me be the first to admit from a raptor owner, that we are not. There is no way we will be unless you bore the thing so big, and drop major coin on rev limiters, pipe, intake, cam,,,etc etc etc,,,, the list never stops, and then and only then, we will maybe not look like complete idiots out at the dunes.

Old 01-17-2001, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

Well tuning any bike is trial and error. Not to bash you but you obviously don't have it tuned in right. I built 2 banshees both had the same parts and they where the same year machine and guess what they didn't have the same tuning. They had different carb tuning to get them to run right. just shows you not every engine is the same even though the model is. So bud before you write in and say its junk and that you have been riding for 16 yrs. Learn how to tune before you bash the quad. I could see if the quad was stock and you where bashing it but you did work to it and now you bash it. So really you have no point to your post....

Old 01-17-2001, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

I was wondering when someone would post this topic.
All I can say to everybody who is having jetting probs. That's what you get for buying a dual-carb, 5-valved 4-stroke. With each carb feeding a different number of valves, you'll be lucky to ever get that thing jetted right. Even the aftermarket companies don't know what to do, because each Raptor is completely different.
Good Luck.

Old 01-17-2001, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

That's just silly,
Alot of snowmobiles have different size jets in the different carbs, and people still manage to jet them properly. It's just a matter of trail and error, and doing changes in logical steps so that you know what to do next.
I have to agree with deeznuts. If Ihatemyraptor was trashing his stock Raptor, that would be one thing. But to talk about the mods he's done and then say that he can't beat a stock Raptor....To me it's not the Raptor that has the problems, but Ihatemyraptor's tuning skills. Maybe you need to let someone else work on your bike for you.

Old 01-17-2001, 03:23 PM
Range Rover

I have to agree that Raptors suck. They have short and narrow wheel bases. Basically they look like a Warrior chassis with a big motor and new plastic! I think that the Bombardier DS650 is a true off-the-showroom-floor big bore 4-stroke racer, and I am not a Bombardier fan! The suspension on the Raptor is just not up to par with the rest of the ATV world. If Yamaha is going to build a Powerful ATV sport quad, then they should have a chassis that can handle the power! Yamaha is behind the times, trying to play catch-up to the rest of the manufacturers. Two carbs of different sizes on a single cyl! What were they thinking?!!!!

Old 01-17-2001, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

if you think yamaha is behind the time. I see you have polaris in the name so i assume you ride one. Enough said.

Old 01-17-2001, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

First of all, reread this please and tell me the difference.... "I've been riding for 16 years" now read this "I've been a tuning for 16 years" see any difference???? Thought so. I myself have never touched the mechanical part. I ride it, thats what I do, and my local shops perform my labor, and they too are as dumbfounded as I am. So get the story straight before you rip me. Ok ... Back to my post. I understand where you are coming from, but if it was bone stock, I would still not be pleased. I rode it for 2 months bone stock... why do you think i did the mods, because it was to damn slow, thats why... so to refrain , you were right, but I still am not happy and to be honest would love to get rid of it. The point of my post is what I said, the raptor is not the king. Jetting is important yes, but jetting will not get me 3 more bike lengths up the hill quicker... know what I mean... So to end it, the "BIG BAD 660" is a yamaha hoax. I just pray to god that someone figures out how to dial these quads in, then I will shut up and eat crow...

Old 01-17-2001, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

How can you say Yamaha is not with the times. It is leading it. (YZ250F) (YZ426F) (Raptor) Remember that Mac rides blue! Unless you own a Yamaha or a Honda you have no room to talk. I couldn't get rid of a 400 scrambler fast enough. Major weight and lots of repairs. The DS is nice by too heavy. I will stick with my Raptor and if I want a machine to be the fastest climbing a big dune I will buy a Banshee.

Old 01-17-2001, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where is all this hatred coming from? Do I smell a honda sales rep in here, cause somebody doesn't seem to like raptors. Or maybe the fact that Yamaha decided to BUILD SOMETHING NEW. With new technology, Hmmmm, imagine that. Turns out that Yamaha actually cares about people who ride quads that weigh under 600 pounds. They decided to be different and re-enter the sport world.(I know honda was first of the "big four" to release a new "sport machine" but an air cooled XR 400(400EX) engine isn't going to cut it) So what I'm tyin to say is that if you don't like your raptor, go get a banshee or a 250R, I personally have owned both and loved them. But there comes a time when old quad designs get too old, 250R-15 years old, Banshee-14 years old, etc. So i love my Raptor, and I love DS650's, and I would probably love the new Cannondale. Because they are keeping our sport alive. If you don't agree than you can eat the roost coming off my CT modified Raptor.

P.S. Did you hear that raptors explode into a million pieces if you run them more than 10 hours?

Old 01-17-2001, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

Mind is tuned perfect and runs perfect
Why are you so BITTER!!!!