Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dont get a oil block off kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont get a oil block off kit

today i took my 2005 blaster for a cruise in the snow up and down hills .
and all of the sudden i let go of the throotle and it died. i tried to kick start it back on but the kick lever wouldnt budge. bad news aye my piston siezed. i waited a couple minutes and it turnd on i rode it home with no problem.

I then said to my self fk the oil pump and fk the oil block off kit. im gonna do it my way.

Can i drain all the 2-cycle oil and cut the 2 tubes comming out from the oil pump and plug them. Then mix my own oil???????????????
any1 see it done before? should i try it.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Range Rover

yes you can i had it that way for mine before ,you should cap the inlet on your carb. i have changed it to a b/o kit recently only in fear of the pump seizing and maybe causing internal probs. i dont even know if it would cause probs but for $30 and 30 mins why not. i had my pump disconnect for years though without any probs. ggo luck

Old 01-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

IF your piston seized you need to rebuild the top end, and in doing that you would be ignorant for not going ahead and doing the block off.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

all said is true! i just got rid of my oil injector,and went to premix,just do your homework,as you are...

Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

The yamaha oil injector pump is the greatest thing about the blasters, why would anyone want to remove it? The pumps hardly ever fail, in fact our dealership hasn't had one case of that happening. We have, on the other hand, had cases where engine failure occurred due to people mixing their own oil improperly.
Think about it, the oil pump you are referring to has been tried and true in snowmobiles for over 30 years and has proven itself for use on blasters for the last 20 years.
Then there's also the topic of your pre-mixed fuel going bad by sitting in your vented tank. Technically you are supposed to use your fuel within 48 hours of mixing it because the oil looses some of it's lubricant capabilities. Some people only get a chance to ride their blasters on the weekends, and I doubt anyone would dump their unused fuel out of their tank after each weekend ride, just to mix up a new batch.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Funny thing about the pre-mix, or mix-your-own debate, is both are excellent ways to go as long as which ever one you have/use, is maintaned properly and inspected regularly. I'd be good with (and use) both systems without trouble.

I believe I will keep the injection system on the Blaster I have it on unless I have a part break and it costs a bunch to fix or something.... I have a spare pump I got with a clutch cover I got on ebay. I'll keep it for a spare for the time being. It works well, and is off an '02 model so I bet it doesn't have much time on it. Looks new.

The other Blaster I have was running pre-mix on it when I bought it and I have run several tanks through it (mixed by me), all make it smoke more than the injected one does. But I feel safe with it anyway. I will be experimenting with different oil types next summer as I have some racing friends who are recommendiing some vegetable based ( I think Caster bean based) oil that supposedly smells really good too.......LOL Oh,...I have yet to foul a plug onwither one which puzzles me with the smoking one, and goes against everything I have been advised about the 2 Stroke 4 Wheelers.

In addition to my two stroke follies with my Blasters, I have been running 2 stroke weedeaters and lawn mowers and blowers and chainsaws for years with gas I mixed 4 or 5 months previously. My gas can is vented and sits outdoors so I bet I run a bit oil rich due to the fuel evaporation. Never in 30 years have a ruined a 2 stroke with "old gas". The Blasters are the only engines I have personally run with oil injected engineering and I love it. I just don't think pre-mix is an issue at all.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer

If you want to rely on a cheap little plastic gear then dont put a block off on, on our blaster we put the block off on and premixed it. Then you know its right and you can change the mix if you mod the motor. We ran an IMS tank (4 gallon) and never had to worry on long trail rides.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

damn u could could only go 2 days on a pre mixed tank?