Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

brake squeek

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake squeek

I have a 2006 wolverine 450 and the rear brake squeeks at low speeds, talked to the yamaha dealer and they said probably just dirt in it. Has anyone tried replacing the rear pads? Also looking for more low end power but not sacrifice top speed, any ideas

Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default brake squeek

i have heard hauck clutch kit will give you more power all the way around but that is just hear say. but there are a couple people on here that have it done so just ask them

Old 01-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default brake squeek

did you check to see if your disc is warped

Old 01-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake squeek

I don't know about the power but the brake's are something i know about , you'll need to pull the rear wheel to inspeck them if it's dirt the the lube that you get with new brake pad's is probally gone too ; clean the brakes with brake cleaner and go to Auto Zone , Advance or O'Reillys Auto Parts Store and tell them you need the lube for the back metal side of your brake pad's they will know what you're talking about ; and check the brake pad clip's or pins to see if the're coming out or missing !

The lubricant goes on the back of of the pad's and the sliding part of the pad's and caliper , this keep's them from sticking , rattling and squeaking ; the guy's at the auto parts store's will tell you how and where to put the lube and the lubricant is different than axle and bearing grease so ask them where to put the lube and how much to use !

My brother's and brother inlaw never used the stuff and they would ask how come the new brake pad's made a squealing or rattling sound , and i would ask them if they used the lubricant that came with the new pad's ; and they would tell me they didn't use it and threw the little pack's in the trash and i would tell them to get it out of the trash or go buy some more if they wanted them to stop squealing !

They're the same as the one's on automobiles with just a slight difference on different Brand Atv's , and like mdebuck stated it could be a brake rotor as well ; but you will have to check it after you remove the rear wheel first !

Also check the thickness of the brake pads i think it's like 1/8" is the minimum spec. on the brake pad's , and check for glazing on the brake rotor and brake pad's ; if they're shiny like a mirrow even with no scare's
on the rotor they will need resurfasing (what machinist call turning and truing the rotors !

And if you need new pad's and the rotor resurfacing you will have to do a proceedjure called Burnishing the new pad's to the rotor , most dealers do this when prepping a new quad before they sell them ; at least the Dealership that have good technition's who know how to prepp the unit's they sale !

The owners manual give's this info in the brake proceedjure , it's a very simple job to do you just need a place where you can safely accelerate to 30 miles mph and to brake to a stop . Then Accelerate to 30 mph ; then compress (squeaze ) brake lever to decelerate to 0-5 mph . Repeat procedure 5 times untill brakes are burnished !

Warning , dio not attempt sudden stops or put youself in a situation where a sudden stop will be required untill the brake pads are properly burnished !

It could be that the brake's or warn out or the rotor need's be turned and trued ; or they could be dirty and need cleaning and need to remove the caliper to inspect the rotor and check the pads for minumum thickness of the pad's and use the lube to relude the back the of the brake pads and check to make sure all the brake clip or clip's are still there and are stiil in place !

I hope it is just the dirt and the lube has washed off from riding in mud and dirty water , i hope you get it fixed soon !................

Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default brake squeek

If you search the forums you will find this to be a common complaint. I don't know that anyone has found "the" cause. I wonder if it could be improper tightening of the lug nuts. Could be warping the rotor from one lug nut being tighter than the others. Both my Kodiaks do this off and on.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default brake squeek

Dude, I've owned 2 separate Yamahas' that had the infamous "Brake Squeek" It's not the rotor or worn out pads, it's because Yamaha got a brainwave to put small slices in the rear pads to disapate heat. Unfortunatly the small slices love to collect particles of dirt and dust which will give off this god awfull squeel at low speeds.

My newest bike is an '07 450 and the squeel was so bad on it I acually complained to Yamaha Canada about it. I called their 1-800 number and got through to an actual person on the other end. She told me in very few words that it was a common problem, but, Yamaha wasn't doing anything about it.

They've since introduced their new "Wet Brake" system to eliminate the squeeking. I replaced my factory brake pads with EBC aftermarket pads only 200 Kms after purchasing the bike new. I've not had a squeek since.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default brake squeek

Oh, sorry bro, as far as the low end power goes.

You shold invest in a EPI clutch kit. It's relativly cheap and doesn't rob more than 5-10 Kms of the top end.

Ask cateusa1, he seems to be the resident expert on this situation.

Since installing mine I am able to wheelie from a stop or rolling off small burms and no matter what you do to your 450 it'll never be a rocket on the top end. That's just my opinion. I think the fastest I've ever had mine was 96 Kms down hill, on pavement, with no wind at about 8:30 p.m. when it was a cooler mid summer night. Yes the outside temperature really does effect the speed by 2-4 Kms. So does each of the other factors like hills, pavement and wind.

Like I said though, cateusa1 I think has done it all if not more to his wolvie.

Look him up.