Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil

my neighbor has a raptor 660 and he asked me if it is ok to use penzoil 10w 40 instead of using yamalube. i told him i use yamalube in my warrior but he doesn't want to pay 5 bucks for a quart of oil.

i know what i suggested but i guess he's cheap lol. what would you guys suggest?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil

i know in my wolvy i have to use yamaha lube or some thin that is specificly for 4 wheelers but that is only because the oil in the wolvy acts as the lubeing agent for the trany. so it cant be any energy saveing oi.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil

yamalube is just a good oil that has yamaha on it and you have to pay a few bucks xtra for .....most guys use the name they trust in for their cars but they get the kind used for atv's just leik wat2good4u said

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil

Ok I read the manual and it just says a certain viscosity based on the climate you ride in or live in. Did I miss something here. I assumed by reading that there is something to using an oil made for Atv's. I personally have never seen anything made for a ATV. Im due to change oil and I want to make the right choice.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil

Ok I went back and reread the manual. It does say Yamalube. So what kind of Oil do you guys use. Do you all use Yamalube.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default oil

i think the only diffiences in oils or syn, or natural. and of course they have differnt weights, and they each have differnt energy saving rating, in wich is how much it actullay lubes the important parts of your motor and in wolverine riders chases the trany.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil

yeh i use yamalube for my crankcase... once again its just a good oil that u pay a few bucks more for because it has yamaha on it but its easier for me to stop at my local dealer and pick it up than it is to go shopping for an oil elsewhere

Old 01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default oil

If you don't use Yamalube, at least get some oil that is for wet clutches. I used Havoline in mine because I wasn't going to buy that expensive Yamalube either, but it made my clutches slip. So I sucked it up and paid for the Yamalube and now I don't have any problems.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil

YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL AN ENGINE THAT USED PENSOIL...LOOKS LIKE YOU FILLED IT WITH TAR

Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Range Rover
Default oil

Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 synthetic, is not energy conserving and will work with a wet clutch. It is an HD oil for diesels so will handle the stresses of air cooled and water cooled ATV's, and has great cold flow capability and detergents. Actually any auto oil not marked energy conserving in the star label will work with a wet clutch. Are they as good as ATV or Motorcycle specific oil?, the debate will rage forever. I keep the neighbors 20 & 22 year old hondas, as well as mine running on this and it is 16$/gallon at Wallmart or AAP. It makes it easier to maintain 6 bikes. Go to "Bobistheoilguy.com" and you will find more oil info and discussion than you ever wanted. I found this recommended there and on several motorcycle sites.