Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine question??? Anyone ever do this???

Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine question??? Anyone ever do this???

Has anyone ever welded the front differential spider gears??? Old drag racing trick... Turns a limited slip into a posi trac (differential lock)...

Just a thought...

Old 01-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are all kinds of differential lockers out there,IMO its a bad move to lock them at all..In tight muddy trails you will find yourself hitting lots of trees and who know what else.locking the front differential has a HUGE effect on how the bike will handle in tight stuff in four wheel drive..

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

I agree with Todd. "Lincoln locking" a front end is a bad idea for a front diff. I know quite a few guys that run them or a spool in the rear of their Jeeps and that works great. I run "Detroit" style automatic lockers front and rear in my Jeep and even at crawling speeds the front end will push if you're in sand or loose soil. I think having a really good limited slip in the front is best for "spirited" trail riding.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

unfortunatly todd is right if you welded the spider gears in it you would be locked in 4x4 all the time pretty much.

also unfortunatly noone makes a locker for the new wolvy 450................yet

Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

How about looking for a front diff from a wrecked 450 Kodiak/Grizz that has the front diff lock option. I'm not sure if it's a direct fit or not though.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ctateusa1

unfortunatly todd is right if you welded the spider gears in it you would be locked in 4x4 all the time pretty much.

also unfortunatly noone makes a locker for the new wolvy 450................yet</end quote></div>

It wouldn't be locked in 4x4 all the time but it would be diff locked at all times when you had it in 4wd. Honestly diff locking is great when you need it but it would SUCK to have it locked all the time.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

yhea i misphrased that and didnt realize it, I meant to say the front end would steer like it was locked up at all times.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ctateusa1

yhea i misphrased that and didnt realize it, I meant to say the front end would steer like it was locked up at all times.</end quote></div>

I know you knew what you were talking about you just worded it wrong. Just wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Oh and I had a truck that my brother welded solid on the rear and I got pulled over several times when making hard turns because one rear tire would scrub and make it sound like I burned rubber.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Range Rover

My jeep does that going really slow in paved parking lots or turning onto a road from a stop sign.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

any way you could ground a wire on the cdi box to over ride the diff. I noticed that the 450 wolverine has diff lock light on the dash of the bike? I'm just trying does it sound stupid?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wolverine question??? Anyone ever do this???