Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Reverse Rev Limiter Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Rev Limiter Bypass

I decided to try a reverse rev limiter bypass on my 2003 660 Raptor after getting stuck on a narrow muddy trail yesterday. The limiter did allow me to get some much needed exercise lugging the machine around by hand. Here's how it worked:

In-line splice a wire into the green (white stripe) wire coming from the reverse sensor located near the gear shift lever.

Connect this new wire to one pole of a simple on/off single throw toggle switch. ($4 at my local hardware store) I located this new switch just below the reverse toggle ****/switch on the right front fender.

Connect a wire from the other pole on the switch to a secure grounding point on the Raptor frame.

This entire procedure took maybe 10-15 minutes.

Now if I need to bypass the rev limiter (like I wish I could have yesterday) all I do is flip a switch. No more reverse rev limiter. When the limiter is bypassed the reverse light will not illuminate. If the bypass is not activated the reverse rev limiter and reverse light function normally just like always. You could of course skip the switch and splice a wire from the green (white stripe) wire directly to ground if you no longer wish to use the limiter at all but I like to have the option of only bypassing the limiter if needed.

If you do bypass your reverse rev limiter BE CAREFUL WHEN BACKING UP! The limiter is there to protect your transmission and more importantly you since quads tend to be less than stable at much beyond a crawl in reverse. Use caution and common sense.

There are of course other good alternatives to this procedure to be found on this forum and others but for me this one was simple, cheap, and functional.