Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Well, I have officialy broken in my new 07 raptor 700r. It has about 6 1/2 tanks of gas threw it. Now the dealer ship said it would be $120 to service it. I am not that familiar with maintinance of quads but I am mechanicaly inclined. I have worked on 4 wheel drives and instlled countless lift kits and even rebuilt a few motors. Couldnt I do it myself for cheaper. All they said they do is change the fluids and go over everything. What would I need to do myself for a first service for this quad. Also I am going to service my wolverine 450...after yesterday being taken threw some serious mud. What would I need to do to each of these quads that I can do myself to help keep them in a good running condition. BTW I know alotta people store theres for winter...but i ride mine years round..it's been a nice 73 degrees every day for the pass week here in alabama.

Thanks to all who reply

Old 01-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

oil and filter change... (be sure to check for small particles/shavings in the oil)
grease your zerks...
Valve clearance check/adjustment. That's basically it...

Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

there's a few things you can do............ change the oil for one, change spark plug (if not tan or golden brown color) or you can do what i did..... change it for the hell of it. check tention and lube chain, check brakes and fluid, if it's liquid cooled check/change fluid. basically a tune is what you should do. that's pretty much all it is. like with a car. it's almost the same thing.

hope this gives you an idea.

-87 Warrior

Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

i whould just change oil and filter. clean the filter of course. just look at the coolent and make sure it not dirty (which it shouldn't). and adjust the valves.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Range Rover

Ive been told "adjusting the valves" is very important after breaking in a new atv.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

yes it's one of the most important things to do good thing you mentioned that lol cuz i forgot about that.