Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly, no spark

MY 2000 GRIZZLY 600 HAS SPARK WITH PULL START BUT NOT WITH ELECTRIC START. MOTOR CRANKS, BUT NO SPARK WITH ELECTRIC START.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

could be three things that i can think of........ bad stator, bad coil, or bad cdi the only way i know of to know for sure is to test them with an ohm meter. you can one at any parts store.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Have the battery load tested. If thats good,id suspect the starter. The starter is drawing too much, and its bringing the battery voltage too low while cranking, leaving not enough for the cdi.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2001 Grizzly 600 that has just started with this exact same problem. I am completely baffled, talked with the Yamaha Dealer and they are baffled as well. Amberhannah, I feel your pain. If I come up with anything I will let you know.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tested the stator and found the source coils are not putting out the correct voltage. It has to be either the stator or cdi. I am going to start with the stator. i will let you know.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I talked with another dealer service manager and he stated this was a common problem with the old big bears, and was most commonly the starter was not spinning fast enough, or it was drawing to many amps from the system. Anyhow, I disasembled the starter yesterday and tested it. Everything tested and mic'ed at near new tolerences, so I definately do not think it is the starter in my case. So what next. I have completed all of the tests in the service manual for the primary and secondary coils, pickup coils, generator charging and find nothing to be out of spec. Will go back through the resistance testing again, My biggest concern is that I cannot bring the temperature up to ambient temperature right now. My garage is at 45 to 50 degree F. How important is air temperature when testing resistance?

Any other suggestions?
Jebbs

Old 01-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Jebbs

I talked with another dealer service manager and he stated this was a common problem with the old big bears, and was most commonly the starter was not spinning fast enough, or it was drawing to many amps from the system. Anyhow, I disasembled the starter yesterday and tested it. Everything tested and mic'ed at near new tolerences, so I definately do not think it is the starter in my case. So what next. I have completed all of the tests in the service manual for the primary and secondary coils, pickup coils, generator charging and find nothing to be out of spec. Will go back through the resistance testing again, My biggest concern is that I cannot bring the temperature up to ambient temperature right now. My garage is at 45 to 50 degree F. How important is air temperature when testing resistance?

Any other suggestions?

Jebbs</end quote></div>
Its not that important. Even when its 68, the resistance doesnt match up, but is ok. The big thing to look for is an open or short, any thing close to being in tolerance is probably good.
Did you have the battery load tested? Did you look over the battery connections, and frame grounds...for corosion or looseness? Have you tried jump starting the battery?

Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I have charged the battery, load tested it, ran the starter with the charger hooked up to it(jumped), and still no start. Starts with the pullstarter, no spark with the starter. I will look again for shorts in the wiring harness.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

well, i am going to replace the stator. its the only logical explination. i will let you know how i make out.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

that's what it sounds like to me. if that doesn't work try your cdi or coil.

Quick Reply: grizzly, no spark