Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Got it stuck

Old 01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got it stuck

Recently went riding in some pretty wet and muddy conditions. Im not that experienced with the maintnence of quads. went with a buddy of mine who thinks he is experienced and he was going through some deep water and I was avoiding it so i wouldnt get stuck or cause any damage and then he got stuck like 3 times had to pull him out and it was pretty easy to do so. after that I started getting more agressive and taking on bigger puddles (I guess u could say they where puddles) after about an hour and a half of riding we were heading back for a break and i went through a puddle I knew I shouldnt have and it didnt get stuck it was just moving pretty slow and he told me earlier to not let it stall out ... but it ended up stalling out then he pulled me out and it wouldnt fire up ... the water was up to the tail pipe but the tail pipe never went under ... my question is besides draining the oil changing the filter popping the plug and blowing it out checking the drainage areas is there anything else i should do to this bike for possible water damage that i havent already done the bike fires up and runs fine but like i said im not that experienced and dont want to do long term damage... any advice would be greatly appreciated sorry about the drawn out story

Old 01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got it stuck

Sorry didnt tell you the bike is a 2006 yamaha wolverine 450.. thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Got it stuck

If the pipe never went under how did the water get into the engine? Usually the air intake for both air box and belt housing are mounted higher than the tail pipe.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got it stuck

ok first off pull the spark plug out and turn the bike over with the starter while letting the water fly out of the cylinder. Pull the drainplug and drain the oil(probably flush it once or twice to make sure its good and clean).

Pull the transmission (belt housing) drain plug to let the water out of there.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Got it stuck

i dont think you said this so im just gonna say it: after going through stuff like that it is a good idea to make sure there isnt water in your airbox also you might want to clean and re-oil the air filter.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got it stuck

if water got int he cyclinder your lucky it didn't hydrolock but do exactly what cstateusa said

Old 01-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got it stuck

Actually I think the wolvy is pretty tough to actually hydrolock it(I sunk mine and had to shoot water out of the cylinder already) No damage and I didnt even get any water inside the engine other than the cylinder. I have since broken it down and checked the rod when I did the 488 kit and the rod was fine and my cylinder looked great as well.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got it stuck

You might also check the rearend oil just to be safe that theres no water in it as well.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got it stuck

well i've never messed with a wolverine so i was just sayin it could ahve hydrolocked but i definitely agreed on ur advice cstateusa on blowint the water out of the cylinder....

Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Range Rover
Default Got it stuck

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CHADRAD

Sorry didnt tell you the bike is a 2006 yamaha wolverine 450.. thanks</end quote></div>

And why is that???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got it stuck