Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

87 warrior

Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 warrior

Hey guys, i'll tell you, if it ain't one thing it's another. i can not get my warrior to run right what so ever. here's the problem: starts and idles fine but when i hit the gas quick it bogs down and stalls???? does anyone know how to fix this damn problem? also sometimes when i ride and stop and let it idle it stays at a high idle and my idle adjustment is right where it should be. my carb boot has small cracks in it so i put gasket maker on them to fix them could this be the cause of all this???

I have a 150 main jet and stock pilot jet. my needle position is in the middle. my air/fuel mixture is at 3 turns out.

i tried so many different things and nothing seems to work. so if anybody knows what is causeing this and can tell me how to fix it your help would be greatly apperciated.
-87 warrior

Old 01-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default 87 warrior

Also my spark plug is grey??? it was dry fouled. now it's turning grey.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 87 warrior

I'd start by replacing that cracked boot, it very well could be causing all these problems. I remember that thing cracking on me at least twice during the short time I had the stock carb, and it really had me confused the first time. It would idle real high, like you're saying it does sometimes, and it would also pop and sputter whenever it felt like doing so. A new one will cost you about $30. Be careful when you're putting it in, a lot of them get damaged because people are too rough when they install their carbs and try to force everything to fit together. Since the only flexible part of that boot is a small section of rubber right in the middle all the stress gets put on that one small area.

If you're still having trouble with it hesitating when you jab the throttle the next thing i'd check is that the accelerator pump is working properly. Really, while you have the carb off to replace the intake manifold you can easily check the accel pump then. Basically when you open the throttle quickly there's a little needle sticking up in the intake side of the carb that will shoot a stream of gas down the throat of the carb to prevent the engine from bogging down. Now, keep in mind that the stock carb on the warrior isn't the most well thought out design, and that these accelerator pumps have always been a little too weak to remove all hesitation when you quickly jab the throttle, but when it's working right it doesn't affect normal riding. If you don't see the pump shooting a stream of gas when you open the throttle it usually isn't a difficult or expensive repair. Usually it's just a broken or missing pump return spring. Hope this helps some.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default 87 warrior

yeah that gives me an idea about the boot so i'll get a new one. now the accelerater pump..... would that be the needle jet???

the high idle does not affect my normal riding. it only does it when i'm riding and i pull in the clutch to come to a stop. but i'll change the boot and see what happens.

thanks recon
-87 warrior

Old 01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 87 warrior

The accelerator pump is completely seperate from the needle. The needle just regulates how much fuel goes into the mixture. The only time the accelerator pump does anything is when you open the throttle quickly. The needle I was referring to is just a little brass thing that sticks out into the bore of the carb, with a hole in one side.

The high idle may not affect riding, but I can guarantee you that you're running too lean with the air leak like that, and it's only going to get worse with time. Aside from that dirt could get sucked in through that crack. And it's very possible that the air/fuel ratio being all messed up is what's causing your bog. It doesn't matter if the accelerator pump is working or not if you have an air leak throwing off the mix.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default 87 warrior

oh ok i know what your talking about know. i had that carb apart so many times i was wondering what that thing was. i thought it was like a sensor like in a car. now i know lol.

so then basically it's an air leak.? the boot has about 3 cracks in it so like i said i put gasket maker on it thinking that would fix the problem but i guess that didn't seem to work. so with all that being said i'll change the boot and see if that fixes the problem hopefully it does. if that doesn't work then i dunno where else the air leak would be comming from.

thanks for your help recon i'll let you know how it goes.

-87 warrior