Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster oil injection?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster oil injection?

first off... i am new to these forums and wuld like to say HELLO to everyone ..

so im thinking of blocking off my oil injection on my 04 blaster, ive been looking at kits and it appears that i will pay 30 dollars for a little silver plate that i could make my self and a gasket...my question is :should i invest in a kit ...or attempt to just use my gasket i already have on it and cut out alittle plat? and also is it worth doing away with the oil injection?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

How ya doin? If your injection you have now is doing good, then I woukd say leave it. I had a 300 two stroke one time and my buddy had the same one. After he blocked his off, he kept fouling plugs. Mine never had any problems.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanx for the reply...the only reason i was thinking bout doung away with the oil injection is because i have heard so man horrer stories about blaster oil pumps going bad and causing serious engine damage. has anyone else in these forums had any kind of similar problems with the blasters ?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

Daniel, (Assuming) I have two Blasters purchased both this last spring and summer. One I bought was bored 60 over (first one I bought) and the oil system is eliminated on it. I suspect more mods were done too, but it was still sporting the factory exhaust, and runs like a scalded ape. I run premix 32:1 and have smoke, but no fouling of plugs. I have probably put 20 hours on it since I first of june, and pulling the plug and changing the engine oil after every 5 hours or so, I have great results. I could probably run the fuel richer, but see no reason to so far.

The second Blaster I bought, had only 4 hours on it, and looked almost new when I bought it. Still had the assembly tank of oil on it. After over 20 hours on this one I have maybe run a full tank through since I got it, but top it off before every ride.
This one doesn't smoke much at all except on start-up after sitting all week. The oddity on this one is, everytime I change the case oil, and check the spark plug, the plug is not terribly tight, but it looks identical to the one in the other engine as far as color and carbon and such,.......well, except the model. The block off Blaster is an 89 with frame and engine numbers matching so I'm pretty sure it's fairly all original major components. Spark plug is different on the older models. The other (injected one) is a 2006 and I gotta say, the Hydraulic brakes are the stuff! SUPERIOR.

The advice given by rdsuperbee01 is not really bad if you consider a couple of things. (all of this will be from experience and research)
1) NEVER let the oil tank go empty.
Funny thing.....The damage that will be incurred if you let the oil run dry, will be all about the Cylinder and Head and Piston. If you ever considered boring the engine to a larger size (vito's big bore kit or any other way) then that may be how you get there........it'd be time to do so if you trash these parts. Typically since the internal parts are lubricated seperately, the engine shouldn;t be a complete loss if you lose the oil pump or let 'er run dry. See?
2) This is where the research came in handy.... I looked and looked and looked
for info on this very item and most everytime I did a google search about "Yamaha + oil injector", I came across numerous Yamaha Outboard Boat Motor discussions and info sites. All of them seem to be cool with the Oil injection as it's been around so damn long, it's got a great reputation. Best I can figure, this oil pump they use on the blaster is similar (if not identical) in design to those very motors, that given the chance, would leave a guy stranded out in the middle of Lake Ohmygod without a soul in sight, hoping the wind is kind and blows them in the right direction. They're good with it.....I'm good with it.

If I have a choice, I'll run Premix. But given Yamaha's excellent reputation, I bet the oil tank running dry is more likely to be why most of these motors fail. I don't plan on changing mine UNLESS I have a problem or start running more competition stuff that requires different fuels or something.

3) I'd recommend that you change the gear that drives the pump every couple of years or so, or maybe every 100hrs check the integrity of the gear.....no giant issues either way.

Hope this helps

Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanx for the reply terellster.

its does seem you have done allot of research on this, i will take your advice.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

I have been around 4 wheelers for a long time and have been around Blasters even longer. I have never heard of an oil injection system going bad, ever. What I have heard of is that someone forgot to mix oil in their gas and blew the engine up. So what is more reliable, a human or the oil injection system?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

I'm with you Raptor450. Human error is the issue, no matter which way it goes.
I've never heard of an oil injector pump going bad. I have often seen damage done by wrong fuel introduced (no oil) in many 2 strokes of many kinds and sizes (starting with Lawn boys back in the day). I have only known one case that the little plastic driven gear was eaten up in a Blaster, and that particular case was on an older, poorly maintained engine(dirty oil, worn out clutches, metal particles and more). But that, I'd say is the weakest link. That's why I'd recomend occaisional intregrity checks on that gear.

Good post!