Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Got my wife's Grizzly 450... suspension adjustment questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my wife's Grizzly 450... suspension adjustment questions

When I picked up the Grizzly, the dealership had an American Eagle plow in stock and since they were calling for some nasty weather the next day, I bought it right away. Installation wasn't too bad, but the first time I raised the plow (winch), the plow only came up about 7 or 8 inches, and the front of the quad went down about 4 or 5". Not surprisingly, I need to firm up the front shocks... surprisingly, the necessary tool wasn't included in the kit. Yesterday I went to the nearest Yamaha dealership (not the one I bought from) to pick up the tool. They told me they don't sell "specialty" tools since they want owners to bring the ATV in for service. I was impressed by their honesty but laughed at them for thinking I'm bringing the thing in for preload adjustments. The dealership I bought from is closed until 1/3/08 so it will be a while until I can talk to them about it.

Do most dealerships stock these kinds of tools?

Are there any ~home-made~ solutions to adjusting the shocks? Commonly owned tools that can be used as a substitute, for example.

Ideally, how much sag should I expect when the plow is lifted?

Any suggestions for good (cheap and reliable) on-line sites for picking up replacement/maintenance parts, tools, etc?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

we have got a grizzley 660 and had the same problem, we took a really big pair of channel locks and was able to turn them. its better than trying to do the run around trying to find the tool. Hope that helps.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

I use a pipe wrench on our bikes to adjust the preload

Old 12-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with both of the above replys CHANNEL LOCK'S or a PIPE WRECH will do great the shock tool's suck there are real good at slipping loose and busting your hand up so just use one of the above...

Old 12-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

OK so if I make the shock the shortest it can be will stiffen up the ride and if I make them the longest it will soften up the ride??? Right???

I was told the longest is the hardest and the shortest is the softest... But that sounds backwards to me...

Sorry about Hijacking your post kominsky...

Old 12-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

No problem hijacking! In fact, I know the answer to this one so I finally get to give back to the forum. ;-)

You were correct... the longer (less compressed) the spring is, the softer the suspension. The shorter the spring, the firmer the setting.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions for adjusting. I do have channel locks but never thought about them. I was thinking about a screwdriver and hammer but figured that was just asking for trouble.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Channel locks are definately the way to go. Only use the hammer and screwdriver on the threaded preload setups.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Hey,

I would get the right tool! they are only about $20-25. I bought mine years ago for my dirtbike... it works on my quad yet it isn't the perfect raduis...

With my Grizz 450, I have stopped mid ride and make adjustments... quick and easy with the tool

As far as cheap OEM parts online Try PowersEdge

Powers Edge

Also there is Bike Bandit - quick shipping but prices are about 20% more than poweredge but still cheaper than going to a dealer.

BikeBandit

-Steve

Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I accomplished what I needed using the channel locks but you raise a good point in favor of owning the tool. I found one online (Progressive brand, I think). It's self adjusting for size and seems like it would make a pretty nice addition to the toolbox for under $25.

Thanks again to all!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 05 Kodiak and I couldn't find a OEM tool to adjust the shocks. Just about every tool on the market did not fit it. I finally found a Honda spanner wrench that does work. You might want to buy in person unless you are sure it will fit.

Quick Reply: Got my wife's Grizzly 450... suspension adjustment questions