Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Spark plug input

Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug input

I just got a 2000 Grizzly 600 that has been running kind-of poorly when really giving throttle. It seems to bog down when you need it most. I am in the process of tuning it up, air filter, cleaning the carb, new plugs, etc. Anyone have any input as to a better plug than the manual suggests. I have no problem with keeping with stock, but I figured I would ask around. Maybe a hotter plug or something will also help this issue that I am having, maybe just the tune-up will do it?

Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug input

I run NGK plugs and and I always recommend them to everyone. I would imagine that a little hotter plug would help if it is getting a little too much fuel, but I would start with the same plug to begin with and then if it still has a little issue then try a little hotter plug.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spark plug input

NGK or Denso for sure. Champion only if you have no choice.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug input

mszela how long has it been since your valves been checked , they may need adjusted if it's been a while since they've been adjusted it can cause carbon built in the combustion chamber either way i would add some Sea Foam to your fuel as part of the tune up ; and i would stay with NGK plug's i've all type of plugs and i've had better result's with NGK ! I bought an 88' GMC S1500 Jimmy 4x4 MPV that has over 300,000 mile's on it off a used car lot it was suppose to have had the engine and drivetrain rebuilt , and had about 87,000 after the engine and drivetrain was rebuilt ! I hadn't driven it about 75 mile's when it began to smoke after it warmed up , it would only smoke on take off then it would clearup once it was going ; my brother was helping me do a complete tuneup when he shorted out the module in the distributor and when i tried to restart it jumped time ! Well after putting a new timing chain and gear set , i got it going again but it was still doing the smoking again ; i had to wait 6 month's to save the money for the timing chain and gear set and a used distributor ! I had almost a full tank of gas and to keep it from bad , i poured a full 16 oz. can of Sea Foam in the tank and had 3 of my brother's shake the jimmy to mix with the gas ; and after i drove it untill i had about a half tank i refilled the tank and drove a few mile's and it just stopped smoking ! It's been over 6 month's now and it's still smoke free , the only thing i can say is that the Sea Foam cleaned the fuel system and combustion chamber of carbon in the combustion chamber was causing the valves to gumup and the ring's where sticking after the engine got hot ! For $5.99 + tax that's not bad for cleaning out an engine and stopping the smoke , i'm using it in my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 to keep it running the best it can ; i would use it on any kind of engine it's safe to use in both 2 and 4 stroke engine's gas and diesel for preventitvie mainence as part of the serving and tuneup's ! Good luck with your Grizz they're great machine's my cousin has a 350 Big Bear , a Kodiac and a Grizz he has had good luck with all of them ; and don't forget the valves ! ......

Old 11-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug input

Another loyal seafoam user here. I use it in both 2 cycle and 4 cycle gas. However, I have had better luck with a Champion Powersports plug than the base NGK in my Grizzly. Note, This is not the standard Champion plug.