Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Metal shavings found in oil!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal shavings found in oil!

I just changed the oil and filter on my Raptor 350 and found metal shavings on the filter. What are they from and how did they get there???? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Wear and tear on the motor.

My warrior always had a little bit of metal in the filter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

what kind of metal?

since they motor and tranny use the same oil it could be from anything

Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

it's nothing major if it's SMALL shavings... if you're getting huge chunks.. you got a problem

Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2003 had metal shavings in its first oil filter. It's normal. It cleared up by the 2nd and 3rd oil change. Don't ask me why but I keep a log of all oil changes and repairs.. I even kept and dated the oil filters to keep track of everything.

Filter on the left came with it from the factory, removed for the first oil change. The filter on the right was from its 2nd oil change.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

I just changed the oil in my warrior and it had a small amount of small shavings in the filter. I just had the top end rebuilt not long ago and I believe this was the first oil change since so is this normal.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Metal shavings found in oil !

Originally Posted by KYDRIVER_1
I just changed the oil in my warrior and it had a small amount of small shavings in the filter. I just had the top end rebuilt not long ago and I believe this was the first oil change since so is this normal.
It is normal to find some metal shaving in the oil when an engine is new or newly rebuilt engine especially on the first oil change , just keep a close watch on the condition of the oil on your next oil and filter change for signs of metal ; the oil should be clean with the second service period !..........

Old 06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Williebee
It is normal to find some metal shaving in the oil when an engine is new or newly rebuilt engine especially on the first oil change , just keep a close watch on the condition of the oil on your next oil and filter change for signs of metal ; the oil should be clean with the second service period !..........

Thanks, it wasn't much but im just hoping it is not something major.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yea the metal shavings are the evidence of the engine breaking in all the parts, warriors poop out a good bit of shavings compared to most atvs also.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

I've got another question my valves seem to make more noise than I would expect after getting them in spec i'm just worried that something may be wrong how much noise should I expect. Also when adjusting the valves i noticed it looked like one of the valve adjusting screws was chipped on the end. Thanks guys for any help.

Quick Reply: Metal shavings found in oil!