Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Metal shavings found in oil!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KYDRIVER_1
I've got another question my valves seem to make more noise than I would expect after getting them in spec i'm just worried that something may be wrong how much noise should I expect. Also when adjusting the valves i noticed it looked like one of the valve adjusting screws was chipped on the end. Thanks guys for any help.
warriors have noisey valve train, most likely its normal, it would be a good idea to buy new valve adjuster screws, they get pretty beat up and there only like $4 bucks piece, i put new valve adjust screws and locknuts on mine back when i installed new valves,seals,timing chain,guides and such.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to see this post in passing. I rode a Warrior for more years than I care to recall (just for the record it was the worst quad I ever owned!), and there were metal shavings and clutch debris in the filter absolutuely every time I changed oil!!! It's just something that engine does! But.....motor never gave me any problems.....

Old 06-05-2009, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Lets think about this for a minute. Where are the big "shavings" coming from? The crank throw? I hope not!!! The piston? I hope not again!!!

Name any engine component where "shavings" coming off is a good thing?

There should be no "shavings" in the oil period. If the engine was clean on rebuild the only thing in the oil should be very, very small black fines. This will be from the molly rings seating in.

There should be no other loose metal in the engine.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
Lets think about this for a minute. Where are the big "shavings" coming from? The crank throw? I hope not!!! The piston? I hope not again!!!

Name any engine component where "shavings" coming off is a good thing?

There should be no "shavings" in the oil period. If the engine was clean on rebuild the only thing in the oil should be very, very small black fines. This will be from the molly rings seating in.

There should be no other loose metal in the engine.
yea on warriors its said to be normal though even after new bottom end,piston,rings,honed,valves,seals,guides,timing chain mine did it also lol, i guess the old warrior engines break in hard.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

yea on warriors its said to be normal though even after new bottom end,piston,rings,honed,valves,seals,guides,timing chain mine did it also lol, i guess the old warrior engines break in hard.
Said to be normal from who? Chunks of metal from any engine is not normal IMHO.
Like I said above, where is it normal where metal chunks come off of? I can not point to ANY component on any engine where this is normal.

Where are all those chunks of metal coming from in the warrior engines?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

i dont think they are talking about chunks. probably more like metal dust.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Said to be normal from who? Chunks of metal from any engine is not normal IMHO.
Like I said above, where is it normal where metal chunks come off of? I can not point to ANY component on any engine where this is normal.

Where are all those chunks of metal coming from in the warrior engines?
Said to be normal from anyone who owns and works on a warrior...and who said anything about chunks? were talking about shavings, if you have chunks of metal than yea thats a different story.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Said to be normal from anyone who owns and works on a warrior...and who said anything about chunks? were talking about shavings, if you have chunks of metal than yea thats a different story.
They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. If you go back to post #5 "I " call those chunks. That is not metal dust. That is not ring or bore glitter. That is not normal in any engine. IMHO, any metal you can pick up with your fingernails is not normal.

And like I said, if it is normal, what part of the engine is this coming from that is normal? Is it normal for the crank to shuck metal off like that? The piston? The rod?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

looks like dirt more then metal, those pictures are pretty unclear so you cant really tell what it is. if it is metal i would say it is a accumilation of metal flakes. hard telling not seeing it in person.

i think we are all in agreement that chunks or shards of metal is bad. dust is fine, you could always save the dust and make a doodle pad with it. might take you awhile though.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. If you go back to post #5 "I " call those chunks. That is not metal dust. That is not ring or bore glitter. That is not normal in any engine. IMHO, any metal you can pick up with your fingernails is not normal.

And like I said, if it is normal, what part of the engine is this coming from that is normal? Is it normal for the crank to shuck metal off like that? The piston? The rod?
a picture sure as hell isnt worth a 1000 words when its blurry is it? can u honestly tell if its "chunks" instead of metal flaking dont think so, the #5 poster never mentioned "chunks" either...lol...k im not gonna try to explain this to you anymore, i guess all warriors engines are just doomed, even if brand spanking new i guess they come out of the factory with an engine ready to blow up, thats what you wanna hear there you go, not all engines are alike, so where does the "normal" fit in?

Quick Reply: Metal shavings found in oil!