Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

SEAFOAM! engine cleaner, check it out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEAFOAM! engine cleaner, check it out.

it's good to see that i'm not the only one that had bad luck with this stuff

Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Trailblazer

Like I said, it may have been a coincidence, or the stuff that blew out of the engine may have baked on the 02 sensors, but it was a chunk of money that I didn't have to spend right then.

I have read in another forum that if you add it to the crankcase you should run it for just a little while.. maybe a day... and then immediately change the oil because it will greatly diminish the oil's lubricating properties (thins the oil out).

I have read also that it DOES break down very soft rubber, but any internal O-rings SHOULD NOT be made of rubber as soft as the rubber that was used in the test.

They say that it does NOT damage the O2 sensors, but I don't believe this since I had to fork over almost five hundred bucks within two hours afterwards.

One site has stated that it will NOT hurt a NEWER engine, but an OLD engine that is basically getting its compression and/or being held together by the amount of carbon buildup will notice a decrease in compression after running it... which the engine was bound to fail sooner or later anyway.

I will probably use it again soon, but it will not be on anything that has such high sensitive monitoring sensors .... maybe a lawn mower, or my WIFE's Four wheeler (heh)...

Another guy claims that it has a few added cleaning agents, but other than that it has all the same chemical properties as Diesel Fuel. I dunno. You be your own best judge before using it.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mikesg
Like I said, it may have been a coincidence, or the stuff that blew out of the engine may have baked on the 02 sensors, but it was a chunk of money that I didn't have to spend right then.

I have read in another forum that if you add it to the crankcase you should run it for just a little while.. maybe a day... and then immediately change the oil because it will greatly diminish the oil's lubricating properties (thins the oil out).

I have read also that it DOES break down very soft rubber, but any internal O-rings SHOULD NOT be made of rubber as soft as the rubber that was used in the test.

They say that it does NOT damage the O2 sensors, but I don't believe this since I had to fork over almost five hundred bucks within two hours afterwards.

One site has stated that it will NOT hurt a NEWER engine, but an OLD engine that is basically getting its compression and/or being held together by the amount of carbon buildup will notice a decrease in compression after running it... which the engine was bound to fail sooner or later anyway.

I will probably use it again soon, but it will not be on anything that has such high sensitive monitoring sensors .... maybe a lawn mower, or my WIFE's Four wheeler (heh)...

Another guy claims that it has a few added cleaning agents, but other than that it has all the same chemical properties as Diesel Fuel. I dunno. You be your own best judge before using it.

I agree with the new/old engine part. If you have 100k on a vehicle carbon is probably the only thing holding it together. I do feel if you consistantly and properly use seafoam it will greatly extend engine life. If you had been using seafoam on the vehicle since day 1 do you think you would have fould your 02's?

Your MAF definitely should not have been affected if you fed the cleaner through the gas tank. The MAF strictly sucks air in.

You could have gotten those 02's MUCH cheaper on ebay. They run about 1/4 of the price.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

newer engines with all the sensors dont like stuff being stuck to them will cause all sorts of reactions.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have used Sea foam for over 20 years on different vehicals and engines ,and never had a issue

Old 02-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I normally would have checked around, but the family and I were leaving the next day to go on a trip and I didn't have the option to wait for shipping. (I used the sea foam as recommended by the parts guy.. because we were going on a long trip and had just had the car serviced and figured what the heck... maybe it will increase the fuel economy on the trip).
As for the MAF, I figured it could not possibly be this, but this is why I said it could have merely been a coincidence. After checking the error codes causing the Check Engine idiot lights to come on, it indicated there were problems with the O2 sensors, so I bought 2 thinking there were only 2, and replaced them both. After clearing the codes, less than a mile down the road the check engine lights came on again, so I investigated and the codes showed there were still problems with the O2 sensors. I crawled underneath the vehicle and checked further to find two more sensors. I did some trial and error checking to make sure that ALL of them weren't bad by switching them around and eliminating any possibility that it wasn't just ONE that was bad. I wound up having to buy all four after checking and clearing the codes repeatedly... who wants to spend the 80+ dollars for each if you only have one or two bad ones right? Anyway, after replacing all of them, the check engine came on once again, and of course the MAF sensor showed up as being bad. I replace the MAF sensor and cleared the codes.... the light stayed off this time. After thinking about it (hmmm maybe it was the MAF the whole time making the engine run too lean/rich and causing the sensors to show defective, so I checked them AGAIN with the new MAF in place, and what do ya know... I had one good 02 sensor, but I just left the new ones in as you can probably imagine I was good and tired of messing with it.

Needless to say, I will give the seafoam another try in the future, but not on a vehicle that I intend to drive for a long distance within the next day or so.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember the first time my Dad used it in an old 73 plymouth fury 3 ,had some high miles would always be ahard starter ,my dad poured it down the carb first and my job was to rev the engine to keep it running ,it created a black smoke cloud that hung in the air for along time but the carbon was blown out ,and the car ran much better ,from then on he just put it in the gas tank

Old 04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

I used it on a beartracker last night, (that was running fine, but I am **** about cleaning carbs and adjusting valves I was looking for a cheap quick fix) It stalled the bike when I got 1/2 ounce through the carb. Would not ignite on restart, I had to wipe the plug and spray starter fluid. Bucked, chugged, sputtered and finally ran with one little puff of white smoke.

I run 1oz B12 per gallon of gas in all my 4 cycles, so maybe I had no build up. I was just surprised I had such a hard time getting it to run on the pure Seafoam. They said it could be used as starter fluid. My friend at work advises to run it as a 50/50 mix through the carb while running.. I was kind of disappointed I did not have the massive smoke cloud everyone else has!

I know, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Just my nature to screw around with the bikes out in the barn, instead of doing something my wife wants me to do.