Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

SEAFOAM! engine cleaner, check it out.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEAFOAM! engine cleaner, check it out.

I was the only one there, so i'm fairly confident nobody was pushing the gas... and how am i supposed to add it any slower when the car stalls out? I can't exactly hold my finger over the end while putting it in the seafoam bottle. When there is potential for crap like this to go wrong, there should be more than 3 lines of directions printed on the side of the bottle.

Oh, and to top it off i think it ruined my oxygen sensor too, because 2 weeks later I got a check engine light and it was because the oxygen sensor was toast.

I really don't think it did anything for carbon buildup either. It didn't work like it's supposed to, because if I remember correctly, you're supposed to shut the engine off immediately after adding it, and then let it sit for 5 minutes for the stuff to loosen the carbon. The car just kept on running when i took the key out, so the stuff was all burned out before the engine stopped, and it didn't get a chance to work. And when it was all over I still had the same valve tap that i was hoping the stuff would fix... so i didn't notice any difference from it.

I think the whole thing is just a 50 year old hillbilly hoax. I never heard of anybody using this, or any other magical miracle cleaner, and actually got results from it.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

So how exactly was it almost stalling if it was at 6k rpms?

How did it not break up carbon yet still foul your o2 sensors?

Yes you can plug it with your finger and add it at the same time, you have 2 hands (I think). Thats what I did...

Your only supposed to drizzle the stuff in...

Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ive used seafoam on alot of my motors, along with everyone else i know. Works great on cleanin alot of the crap out. My friend just bought a 98 banshee yesterday and it seemed like one of the plugs was fowling, but the plug had good spark. We ran seafoam through and it ran like a champ.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

Did you just poor it in the gas or clean the plug with it?

Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 AM
Range Rover

I have used this stuff on several car engines with great results. It does have to be fed slowly and you do have to use one of your hands to control the throttle cable to keep the car running. As soon as you have put in the desired amount, you can then kill the motor.

It is not really a miracle additive or anything, more of a cleaner that cleans out the carbon buildup on the valves, pistons, intake tract, etc. that inhibits performance. Once you clean this out, the car tends to run smoother, rev faster, idle better, and just run more efficient. I have never heard of this product causing O2 sensor failure, if anything it might have cleaned the sensor, thus revealing the bad sensor??

It will smoke when you restart the car after setting for 10-15 minutes, but it is supposed to as that is just the Seafoam itself along with the carbon burning clean.

I bought some for my quad, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I would imagine it would work just as effectively, but would love to hear real world results from someone who has tried it!

Old 02-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Tried it, love it, it made me a believer :-)

Old 02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

For 2 stroke outboard boat motors, SEAFOAM and Yamaha Ring Free are the best at cleaning out the carbon. You can also add it to your gasoline all the time and never have to do the high concentration shock treatment. It will not hurt your motor.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

just ran 3 cans into my 93 subby. one in the gas tank, one through the brake booster line, but noticing the brake booster only went to 1 intake port. i bought another can and ran it through the pcv valve. i also added to the crankcase oil.

so far i noticed it made throttle response better. i also am looking at a starting problem and a slight valve tap at startup once the oil gets over 3k on it. hopefully it will help

recon you did something wrong, not sure what unless you did this on a diesel. your car should not have reved at all, i let mine idle and let it suck it out of the can. then when i was ready i chocked it and stalled the motor. then i let it sit over night and started in the morning

Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

You dont plan on leaving it in your crankcase do you?

You are only supposed to put it in and drive it for a day or 2 then do an oil change. It is a cleaner so I wouldnt leave it in there over long periods of time.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JLsparky7
You dont plan on leaving it in your crankcase do you?

You are only supposed to put it in and drive it for a day or 2 then do an oil change. It is a cleaner so I wouldnt leave it in there over long periods of time.
nowhere on the can does it indicate you are not suppose to drive it nor does it indicate you are to do an oil change shortly after adding it. where have you been told this, the little amount i added shouldn't be a issue

Quick Reply: SEAFOAM! engine cleaner, check it out.