Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

anyone know of a clear coat that works on plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know of a clear coat that works on plastic?

i have some trick vinal decals coming,and i bought a used gas tank cover off ebay to experiment with,and was wondering if there is a clear coat in a can that will work on plastic

i had some other vinal decals on my original tank that held up for a while,but the finer edges started to peel,and then it was pretty much over for them from their

so i would like to seal them on with a clear coat if i could

Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 AM
Pro Rider

3-M ADHESIVE SPRAY GET IT AT WALMART A AUTO PART STORE BE SURE ITS CLEAN AN OIL FREE BEFORE SPRAYING WORKS GREAT.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

as far as I know there's not any clearcoat that works very good on plastic, since clearcoat likes to crack when it flexes, and it doesn't stick as well as regular paint.

Old 09-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

thanx for your replys

Old 09-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

try that krylon spraypaint for plastic.. they might have a clear coat for that.. idk if its ne good but its only 3 bucks..

Old 09-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

You CAN clear coat plastic, but not with anything that comes in a spray can. Proper prep of the plastic is a must.
1. Start with Pre Kleano 1000(http://www.rmpaint.net/grandbr/accueil.htm), apply with rag to clean plastic.
2. Apply adhesion promoter as directed, plastic specfic(http://www.rmpaint.net/grandbr/accueil.htm)
3. Apply clear coat(http://www.rmpaint.net/grandbr/accueil.htm) with proper mixture ratio of a flex agent(http://www.rmpaint.net/grandbr/accueil.htm) reducer and hardener. You'll find the mix ratio on the clear coat link.
Don't try this at home, you need a properly ventilated area and the right equipment.

All that was from my husband, he was a body man before he became management. He cleared his Raptor and it looks great with no cracks. Been meaning to get him to do my Preddy, I'll have to get on him about it now.

Good luck

Old 09-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2000IAWarrior
try that krylon spraypaint for plastic.. they might have a clear coat for that.. idk if its ne good but its only 3 bucks..
the plastic spray paint is called krylon fusion, it still doesnt' stick to the atv plastic very good because it's kinda waxy, it will still come off if you hit it with a pressure washer, and it doesn't come in clearcoat anyways

I think your best solution is what 2fast suggested, to just use a better adhesive if you're worried about it coming off.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

I have a DS650 , and from what i have heard it has a different type plastic then Yamaha , supposedlly it is harder to keep paint on. Anyway , i sanded a small area and sprayed it with a Plasti-kote clear(3 coats) it held up great untill i flipped it again.Bought it at Wally -Mart, 3 oz. can.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

thankyou very much for all of your input

guess i'll do a little more research before i decide exactly what to do,,,thanx again

Old 09-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Range Rover

I think they make a clear coat for RC cars that comes in a can. I have heard of it anyways but do not know for sure if it exist. It would be for lexan, might work on quad plastics.

Quick Reply: anyone know of a clear coat that works on plastic?