Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default banshee problems

I think i seized my banshee one day riding in the snow my right plug starting coming out and the bike died. i tried to kick it over after i put the plug back in and it just wouldn't kick again i took off the head everything looked kosher i guess. the bolt studs were kinda corroded from coolant but thats about it, can anyone help?

Old 03-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer
Default banshee problems

<...my right plug starting coming out and the bike died. i tried to kick it over after i put the plug back in and it just wouldn't kick again...>

If the plug came out, chances are that the threads are stripped. It can be repaired by a technician with a Helicoil insert.

<...the bolt studs were kinda corroded from coolant but thats about it...>

Corrosion can be from lack of coolant changes, or improper mix. You can change the studs (you should), but other damage may be present. All you can do is stop it now by making sure the coolant is not weaker than 50%, and change it yearly.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default banshee problems

i think he means that the plug came out and when he put it back in the kick starter wouldnt budge, when we took the head off and moved the left piston you could see gas coming up between the piston and the wall. I dont no if that is on top of the rings or not. But i have came to the conclusion that under the cylinder is filled with gas. Is this even possible?

Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default banshee problems

No my plug is not stripped it vibrated out somehow, i agree with captain smitty on what he said can anyone else think of what happened because i can not rip into the block yet but i'm curious

Old 03-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default banshee problems

Patience, its difficult to diagnose something you can't see touch or hear over the net...

With the head off, will the engine turn with the kick starter and without (in gear and pushing it)?
Don't worry too much about the wetness around the rings right now, it could be nothing but residue from trying to start it.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default banshee problems

The quad is locked, even with the tops off, the kick started wont move and neither will the pistons if u push them and the gas cant be from starting because u cant move the kick start at all. some one please help

Old 03-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default banshee problems

I think that at this point, you need someone there in person to look it over. You may have a bearing or ring siezure and it needs to be looked at further.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default banshee problems

i dont think you get it, the bearings might be messed up, but i need some1 elses opinion to and i still want to know if it is possible that there could be gas under the piston in the bottom half of hte engine that is not letting the motor spin. i need some more help im sorry, and the cylider wall looks ok for what i can see and the piston is locked all the way up and the other one is all the way down, and it wont budge at all

Old 03-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer
Default banshee problems

If there's gas under the piston, drain the crankcase. You will get a lot more than the oil you put in, and it will smell strongly of gas.

Stick with it. You will find what the problem is eventually.
If it does turn out to be the rings, you may have to pull the jug next.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Range Rover
Default banshee problems

Where theres gas is the last thing you should be worried about right now. Since you cant kick it over there is something siezed have someone look at it for you.

Quick Reply: banshee problems