Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine sputtering...e-brake?

Old 04-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine sputtering...e-brake?

I own a 2000 Yamaha Wolverine & every since I bought it, I've had a problem with the e-brake. All of a sudden it will loose all power and sputter when you give it gas like the e-brake is on, but it's not! I've heard about the block off plates, but will that bybass it? The local dealership won't help me because they "can't remove safety equipment".Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 04-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On your handlebars where your ebrake lever is, there is a switch which puts the rev limiter on when the ebrake is engaged. Trace the wires down under the plastic and unplug em. Most bike shops sell a blockoff plate, should you wish to completely remove your entire ebrake system, like I did.

Old 04-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tried unplugging the wires - nothing. I tried connecting the wires - nothing(you'd think they were a circuit?). So how does the block off plate make a difference???

Old 04-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 switches on the left hand bar end, one for Ebrake rev limiter, and one for the start in gear feature on the brake lever , be sure you unplugged the right one. If this does not cure your problem, then it seems likely that you have dirt in your carb (a VERY common problem). A thorough internal cleanout would be in order. In my case, an inline fuel filter between tank and carb has eliminated recurrances.

The blockoff plate goes on your rear caliper to totally eliminate the whole parking brake mechanism.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Did you rejett with your mods? i Seem to get that proble, when not jetting properly

Old 04-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, I had the problem BEFORE I put onthe filter & pipe. But I figured out a cool way to disconnect the e-brake retarder by removing a piece of the switch itself! If anyone out their has this same problem, let me know & I'll walk you through it!!!

Old 04-06-2004, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Let me know what you did to bypass the cutout switch- In the winter when riding I have had it freeze to where I had a heck of a time getting going again. I know it's in the cutouy switch.
A friend of mine that I ride with has a 2001 wolverine also and he had a problem with it last weekend-it would idle fine and run up to about 3/4 throttle-towards full throttle it would start cutting out-this is the fourth or fifth time we've run across his machine doing this. We both have installed fuel filters to help eliminate problem- I think that moisture in the tank resulting in a little water getting to the carb is the problem. We usually end up draining the bowl a couple of times and it seems to work itself out. Don't know if we are actually fixing anything or just lucking out, but so far we haven't had to be towed home!!! I try to store mine with a full tank of fuel to help prevent condensation inside the tank.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Id like to here to althoguh i took my whole e brake and front all wheel brake systrem off. An7yone know where to get a whole nother kit agian?

Old 10-26-2019, 10:00 PM
Bodymanlife

Originally Posted by PabstMan
Actually, I had the problem BEFORE I put onthe filter & pipe. But I figured out a cool way to disconnect the e-brake retarder by removing a piece of the switch itself! If anyone out their has this same problem, let me know & I'll walk you through it!!!
I'm having the same issue on my 01 350 4x4 wolvy....and can't figure it out....it seems it's already been bypassed be4 ...previous owner. Any help will be appreciated thank you

Old 10-26-2019, 10:40 PM
Bodymanlife
Default Help...lol

Originally Posted by PabstMan
How did u remove e brake deal ....my 01 350 4x4 wolvy Its the same problem ...can't figure it out?