Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cold Natured or Rich Grizzly help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Natured or Rich Grizzly help

Hey guys,

I just bought an 04 Grizzly and it is giving me problems with cold starting. If you get it warmed up it will start instantly eveytime, but that first start in several days has become a big problem. Keep in mind I have been riding finicky 4 stroke motorcycles for years and I understand the importance of not flooding a 4 stroke.
Here's whats happening:
Turn the key on, turn the gas on, apply mid to full choke and hit the starter.......it will fire up and idle high as it should with full choke. But after 10 or 15 seconds the idle will lower and it will cut off........after this it WILL NOT start. All of this is happening without touching the throttle. Remove plug (wet) , turn over engine with plug out to blow it clean, put in new plug.....still won't start. Only after sitting for a couple hours will it start. If you take off riding to warm it up as soon as it starts for the first time in days it seems to be ok.....but i live in a subdivision and need to be able to warm it up sitting still and then load it.
I have read that these bikes are rich from the factory.....any air/fuel screw adjustments recommended?(no service manual yet)
Anyone else have similar problems?
-JT

Old 10-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

when i first got my griz, it messed with me too. your starting it right, but after 5 seconds lower the choke to half way, and try to blip the throttle just a little. that worked for me. odviously your flooding out. the fuel screw for an idle is under the carb, in front of the bowl. you cant see it, and adjusting it while running is possible, but hard without knowing exactly where it is, and what flat head tip to use. what you can do is take off the tank, white plastic shield, and air intake box, and loosen the carb rubber. then you can just trun the carb enough to see the screw. it sits inside a shaft, in front of the bowl. it is set at 2 1/2 turns out from the factory. try turning it in 1/2 turn, and put it back together to test it. while you have it apaprt, get a tip you can fit in there while the carb is in position, and wearing riders gloves, you can adjust it while its running without getting burned. by the way, grizzly's run rich from the factory, so adding a k&n might help out alot, without leaning it out.
just my 02

Old 10-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

When I have to choke it to get it started, I have to lower the choke while I listen to the engine. You will notice that you can maintain the idle level by lowering the choke slowly over a few minutes. It is jetted rich from the factory.

Old 11-01-2004, 02:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Try turning on the gas, and shake the quad abit to ensure the gas flows to the carb, a few minutes before starting.
When it dies, if you open the drain on the float bowl, will gas come out? Have you checked for spark , when it wont start?
If those things look ok, try going to the 1/2 choke position as soon as the engine will let you.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I have finally figured it out. When it first starts if I blip it a little bit, just to get by that first 20-30 seconds of roughness, it will idle without loading up and dying. I think I may have been choking it a little too much.

Hondabuster - To give me something to do while I cussed my new toy I checked the spark which was good, and I knew I was getting gas because my plug was wet and I could smell it.

All is ok now. I got it started sunday and went riding .........great machine. Went through its virgin mudhole.......I was a little nervous........didn't even have to put it in 4WD. I like.

-JT