Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Quad for a 4 year old!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad for a 4 year old!!

my daughter is about three and a half and i don't consider her anywhere near close to being ready to ride a quad, but i had an 80 when i was about nine and i rode that little thing forever. as long as you crank the throttle limiter in and he can reach the brake and gearshift easily then i say go for it. sorry about your loss, and you are a heck of a brother to step up like that. good for you.

Old 06-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

One of those big wheel electric 4 wheelers would be a good start for a 4 year old. There is plenty of time to work up to a real 4 wheeler. It's not that a 4 year old can't make it go. It may be hard for a 4 year old to stop or avoid an accident. Also to understand the handling so it's not flipped, rolled or something. Just imagine how his parents would feel if he hurt himself or how you would feel. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for him.
Just remember to take it easy yourself while you're riding. He shouldn't have to see someone else he cares about get hurt. Remember that he needs you.

Old 06-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah I agree, not too many people will take on that responsibility. I would definitely get him a 50. I have seen them with remote controlls so if they get to far or is going to run into something you can kill the motor and it will stop at a reasonable speed. I took a chance and gave my son my daughters quad and he was 6 at the time. Its a breeze 125 but I did limit the throttle to a crawl but in a week of straight riding I took it off and never had a problem with him, well I shouldnt say that, he tries to jump anything with that thing so I had to put a better shock on it for the ride cuz it was stiff and bounced allot. But what ever you do I am sure you will look out for him. Sorry for your brother and sister in law.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

I don't have any idea how to answer this. I mean some 5 year olds are naturally gifted and athletic and are farther along in every way than others. You know better that us where he's at. I know the raptor 80 has very little power for an 80 and thats a good thing for someone his age. I don't know how you judge this stuff and some people are trying to steer you away from getting him one but I've seen footage of supercross rider Travis Pastrana racing dirtbikes when he was very young. I just think some kids were born to ride. You'll have to be the judge.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

It is a tough call. I got my son an lt50 at 4, and he did very well with it. I got him an 80 just a few months ago when he turned 6, and he likes it, but is a little afraid of it. It is turned down to where it is about as quick as his 50 was with all the stuff opened up. But it is bigger and he is being respectful of it. He is a little afraid of it I think.

He wrecked once on his 50, riding right beside me and not watching where he was going. He learned his lesson, did not get hurt because he was wearing his gear.

I like the 50, it is in the garage waiting for my next son, who will be born in a few weeks.

I dont regret going the 50 route, although he has outgrown it pretty quickly. But it is definatley a great learning quad.

I guess I would reccommend the 50.

Bat

Old 06-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

What a wonderful brother you are and uncle to see that your nephew is raised by family. I am 32 and my husband is 35 trying to raise two kids. I can't imagine being 19 and raising a child. I truly admire your choice.

The 80 I am refering is what I learned on when I was younger. So it is very old. We did not encourage the interest. In fact, I discouraged until my daughter finally broke me down. She can ride a two wheel bike and she has good balance. My 5 year old will probably not be getting on it for the rest of the summer. I think swimming lessons are more appealing right now.

Their accidents were very minor and they were not injured. Believe me I was there in a flash to pick them up. As a mother I am sure I tend to make a bigger deal out of things but that is a mom's job. Maybe look at from a mom's point of view, what would his mother want you to do at this age. If it were my 4 year old, I would buy him a bicycle and go from there.

I am sure you will make the right decision just coming out here and asking for advice was a good start.

Rhonda V

Old 06-02-2003, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, he is a very gifted little kid... He always sayse how he wants to go with me!! I got him a "police motorcycle" for christmas and he loves that thing, I am going to look for something not really powerfull but can alteast go, Thanx for all of your input!!

~NuG~

Old 06-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

Once again thanks for all of your replies, I really appreciate them very much!!

~NuG~

Old 06-02-2003, 01:33 AM
Range Rover

you deserve all the praise. once again, you are a heck of a brother and uncle. i'll bet your brother is smiling in heaven.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

I have to admit though, the little guy just loves yamaha, but I am trying to raise him to not be racist towards anything or anybody and that includes quads... heh heh heh!! He is also strictly THOR!! Little fella, good kid though...

~NuG~

Quick Reply: Quad for a 4 year old!!