Yamaha Side by Sides Talk about the durable Yamaha Sport and Utility

Rhino Oil issues

Old 11-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino Oil issues

Does anyone's Rhino use a fair amount of oil? Both mine and a friends use more oil than any of our other ATV's. I broke mine in by the book as did he, so abuse is not the cause... I would beleive there's an issue with either valve seals or the rings not ever sealing 100%? Anyone else see this? Mines an 05.... I haven't heard of any 06's or newer having issues...

Rude Dog

Old 11-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhino Oil issues

do you run in extremely fine sand with a windshiedl, If you do the stock air filter will not last 100 kms before it's plugged and if you are hard in a run while it is starting to plug it will collapse the boots and dust the engine.
Pull the air box and look inside the filter for dust tracks and dust trails in the carburator throat.
This is coming from having a failure 3 times with various air filters systems while operating in the richardson dunes in northern Alberta.
I am running a 2007 rhino sport and have the AFE stage one filter kit which had to be modified extensively to reduce the intake of dirty air from inside the engine compartment vs through the pre filter.
One of the best sytems that I have seen is a intake that moves the air intake to under the hood, there is a picture in this forum from a couple of weeks ago in pics if your rhino although I have not found the kit on line yet.
If you are in heavy dust or sand you should also put a filter on your clutch cooling air intake behind the drivers seat, I took .5mm wear on the sheave faces in 500 kms of sand.
Total kms on my rhino is only 2100 kms, ( 10 months old)AND 3 pistons one cylinder down so far.
I hope this is not the case for your machine as I would not wish this on anyone.

Yamaha told me to get bent because even though the window has a Yamaha pt# it is still a mod and it is not their responsibility to warn on checking the air filter every 100km's ( 50miles) when operated in dusty conditions.

Good luck, Patiently waiting on the Honda big Red .....

Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Oil issues

Hey sorry to hear about the bad news with your rhino. I myself have one and was not concerned until I read your posting. I would really appreciate it if you could let me know the name of that filter kit that you mentioned when you come across it. I will be looking for it as well and if i find i'll let you know.

Also I had read about that Yamaha Rhino 660 Supercharger Kit by Mountain Performance it sounds really awesome. It comes with its own triple filtration system. You could ad da snorkle to the intake if you wanted to be extra safe which is what i'll prbably do since that compressor or impellor costs 2,000 to fix.

Hope this was helpful.

goodluck

Old 11-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Oil issues

Rudedog,
The stock Rhino air filter system is garbage. The filter is held on by the airbox lid, and it is easy to get misaligned, and easy to have dust get around the filter at the sealing surfaces. There have been alot of Rhinos with oil burning problems due to dirt getting into the engine. I would have a compression leak down test done on your Rhino to see if you have a problem.

As far as air filters go:

Avoid K&N, they do not filter as well as an oiled foam filter.

Avoid any filter that is a direct drop in replacement for the stock Rhino filter, because it uses the same bad design to hold it in place and seal around the edges as the stock filter does.

I have had good luck with a Pro Design billet air filter adapter that allows you to use a clamp on style oiled foam filter. The clamp on filters will seal adequately around the billet adapter because you can tighten them down appropriately, and don't have to rely on the airbox lid holding it loosely in place. I use a Uni two stage foam filter and have never had even a trace of dust get past it.

DO NOT USE MOTOR OIL ON A FOAM AIR FILTER. The oil stays too thin and drips off of the filter and will not stop dirt adequately. Use a good quality foam filter oil that becomes real tacky and stays on the filter like it needs to. I have used both Maxima FFT, and Uni foam filter oil, and the Uni oil is better quality.

DV

Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Oil issues

I have a 06 rhino, and I checked the oil when I bought it a few weeks ago and it was full. Rode it at my camp being easy on it and no mud riding. All of the sudden it stops. Checked the oil and there was hardly none in it. The motor seized and I had to recently rebuild it. I was pissed. It wasnt leaking oil and it wasnt smoking, so I have no idea where the oil could have went. It didnt even show that it was running hot. I m watchin it closely now and it isnt using any oil. I installed the 686 big bore kit, cam, k&n, dyno jet kit, and it runs great now.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Oil issues

I have a 2005 Rhino and was told today the engine is shot. Said said there wasn't hardly a drop of oil in it. I have a local fix it all guy looking at it. He called yamaha to buy a new engine and was told you couldn't get one. I am really really pissed now. What in the world do I do? He priced the main parts from a dealer around $2,000 and another $1,000 for labor. That's $3,000 out the door if everything else is o.k.? What the heck, I bought the machine used for $7,000 and drove it for a year with no problems. What do you do?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Rhino Oil issues

Yamaha really has their head up their *** when it comes to parts sales. They have it all figured out so that they maximize their profit, thats for sure. You cant buy just a spider gear for the front differential for $40, but instead have to buy an entire front differential assembly for $800. But you also cant buy an entire crate motor for a reasonable price. Instead you have to buy each individual part for the engine. And by the time you buy each engine part individually and pay labor to have it assembled you have often times spent more money than a used Rhino is worth, or at least close to it.

I cant tell you what to do in your situation, but if I were told I needed to rebuild the entire engine in my Rhino I think my choices would be to either transplant a Can-Am 800 v-twin into the Rhino, or just part out the Rhino, take my losses, and start over with a different brand UTV. I certainly dont think I would be buying another 660 motor one piece at a time, its not that great of a motor to begin with, and not reliable enough.

DV

Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino Oil issues

DesertViper: Thanks for the response on the air filter woes...

I know the filter system it a shiz system, but It just doesn't seem as though it's the main issue behind excessive oil usage... It really seems as though it would have to be: faulty rings (temper), cylinder temper/surface or valve seals... So, is it safe to say no one has seen/heard of any Yamaha dealer service bulletins about mass oil consumption???? Anyone else.... lets hear from the masses!

Rude Dog...

Old 12-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Oil issues

Im gonna say man that I had to buy a new starter ( cheap off of ebay), starter fly wheel, 686 big bore kit, dyno jet kit, cam, k&n filter, and did the labor myself and Im not that smart with motors, I am so amazed at how great it runs now and I only spent around 1000 dollars. I will be more than happy to help you in anyway. It sucks I know. I went through the same stuff. Any questions just ask. I will tell you what jets to use and everything. Im just looking for a high performance exhaust and a cdi box to purchase now.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Rhino Oil issues

Ok here's on for you to check on out there in Rhino land,
I noticed my 07 sport edition using oil again although it was definetly not burning it.
I pulled the engine cover and found oil around the floor pan at the front drive shaft area and to my amazement there was the out put retaining nut for the front shaft drive yoke laying in the oil.
The yoke and shaft was starting to migrate out of the splines and was leaking the engine oil.
I am absolutely convinced that my Rhino was built on a Saki Friday and is a Lemon riddon POS.

I could take it in for warranty although will have to wait 3 weeks for the dealer to get aroung to puting one of 2 first year 10$ AN HOUR APPRENTICES on the job or I can just fix it myself as usual so I can have it for the holidays.

I think I may trade this one in for the 700 efi provided my track set will swap over from this 07.

That's my rant, I feel better now, Thanks for listening.

THe Anzac Ditch Pickle.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rhino Oil issues