Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Can Sport ATVs ride with Utility ATVs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 01:10 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Sport ATVs ride with Utility ATVs?

I was just wondering if you guys who ride sports ride with guys who have utilities and vice-versa? I met a few guys back in a place I ride the other day. They had sports while mine is a utility. It was muddy so they didn't stick around long. Should types stay together?

Old 02-08-2003, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Heck yah! We ride utitlity and ride with sport quads all the time. Our usual riding group is a completely mixed variety. We usually go at a pretty fast pace anyway, so it's not that you can't stay the same speed (for the most part) or ride the same terrain (here anyway, I don't know where you are from or what terrain you are riding on). We rode all day last Sunday with two people we just met on 400ex's. It was super muddy and a blast. Sometimes the two-wheel drives don't mind having a four-wheel drive machine around every once in a while in the mud, just in case. Anyways, we ride with whoever, and people around here aren't really clique-ish and ride with whoever or whatever as well. I don't know if we are unusual, but that is my experience.

Old 02-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

Same way around here.....everybody here loves to ride. The more the merrier [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

doesnt matter what you ride,as long as you ride.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
(of course if it's a honda,better yet)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where we ride in the desert, for fast riding SUSPENSION IS EVERYTHING, especially if you want to run with the big dogs!! Here the tactic is to use MOMENTUM to carry you through things, rather than GRAPPLING FOR TRACTION (like you would with a 4X4). You can have a big bore bike (sport or utility) with all the horsepower in the world, and it will be very limited WITHOUT THE SUSPENSION TO BACK IT UP! Most utilities have minimalist suspension, and they reach their limits REAL QUICK.

In the mountains, HIGH GROUND CLEARANCE is the most important factor! 4X4 is nice, but only absolutely necessary when the rocks get so big that you can't hop the front end up over them (a 2X4 utility will get you through 98% of the stuff). Here the SPORT BIKES ARE USELESS (with only 4" of clearance in the rear). Great suspension is not necessary. Big horsepower is ok, but NOT if the trade off is a lot of weight and bulk. A big machine is just going to limit your agility in the technical stuff (you hang it up on a rock, and what you have is a BEACHED WHALE!).

SO, IF YOU ARE GOING TO RIDE EVERYWHERE, YOU NEED TWO SETS OF BIKES!!

Old 02-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Range Rover

Now that is an answer I like... now I need two bikes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2003, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

not here .......................no ultility quad will make it on a motocross track

Old 02-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

When you get into the mud (where you shouldn't have tried to go in the first place), it's nice to have a utility around to get you out.

I have a sport quad, and a utility quad. Sometimes it's nice to go flyin', sometimes it's nice to go puttin'.

Old 02-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Range Rover

I never had much luck, thats why I bought a new Prairie. I got the banshee to ride with my sport buddies and got the Prairie for the 4wds. To me it just all depends on who your riding with and where you ride. The banshee is useless in mud, I can hang with the sport guys on the Prairie but after a day of riding it will tire you out. Have a great ride! DennisC

Old 02-14-2003, 07:00 AM
Trailblazer

Lookin,
Just remember one thing ,if you ride a utility don't try to ride it like a sport trust me you will end up getting wrecked. been there done that. In our club we have a mix of machines and we just ride at our own pace.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Can Sport ATVs ride with Utility ATVs?