Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

LOCKING FRONT DIFF

Old 10-04-2006, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOCKING FRONT DIFF

I really did have my mind made up to get the 360 until I got a look at the AC's.

The ground clearance and a 6.5 gallon gas tank made start having second thoughts.

As I said in an earlier post, local dealers (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha) do not want to budge from MSRP and I can't find any leftover '06 models either.

I'm not gonna decide anything until after the first week of hunting season. See what the other guys are riding, and under what conditions.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

ya don't get confused the only thing 4x4 on a honda is that sticker on the side

Old 10-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Range Rover

Why not test ride a Polaris Hawkeye. IRS, 4x4 with locked front end, for only about 4200. Its not a speed machine at 42 mph, but its a nice utility quad.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm hoping that as hunting season starts up here, more of the guys at the hunting camp will bring their quads and I can test ride them.

I just hope they don't all have big-bore machines.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RickW

As I said in an earlier post, local dealers (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha) do not want to budge from MSRP and I can't find any leftover '06 models either.
Rick,

You're in VA - not terribly far from PA. If you don't mind a road trip, I got $1000 off MSRP on my '05 KFX400, and also $1000 off on my BF650. Both leftovers, bought from different dealers. I paid $4899 for my KFX, and $5899 + tax for my BF.

I can give you several dealer names if you want. I'm in Northeastern PA. Also, since you'll be buying out of state, you won't have to pay sales tax.

Rick

Old 10-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Rick.

No hurry at the moment, want to try to find a few different models to test ride first.

Also, I just got to thinking about that sales tax....

I'm a Florida resident stationed in Virginia, so I shouldn't have to pay sales tax here, either. Right?

Stupid question time. Do you have to register an ATV like a vehicle?

Old 10-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Rick,

I do believe that's the case. I bought both of my AVs in NJ, and I live in PA. I didn't have to pay sales tax on them.
In PA, if I were to register it, I'd have to pay the tax then. Here, you have to have ATV registration of you're riding the state forests.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

My 2006 Suzuki Eiger, manual has a "Torque-sensing limited-slip front differential", Im not sure if the older models of the Eiger has the same. The Dealer has a roller rack test stand that all 4 wheels spin and when either front wheel is blocked the Eiger will climb that block. I was told by the dealer the front diff consists of a spring loaded centrificial fiber disc plate that will grab the oppisite axle when the front tire spins, and I was told it works just as good as any "diff lock". I have yet to test out my Eiger in deep snow, but it performed excellent thru deep mud and water, climbing rocks and climbing downed trees.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MotoF150
My 2006 Suzuki Eiger, manual has a "Torque-sensing limited-slip front differential"..... .....I was told by the dealer... it works just as good as any "diff lock"....
In the 18 months +/- that I was researching 4WD drive quads before I purchased one I was told so many different things by dealers and dealers salesmen. My conclusion is that these guys just don't understand what they are selling or will say anything to make a sale. Even the factories hold back on the truth by some combination of trick equipment made to show their own limited slip in the best light. In most situations these various limited slip front ends work just fine. But in extreme conditions such as big solid rock or deepest mud a real full time diff lock is often better according to a huge majority of opinions I have received. Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and AC at least are more honest in admitting that you get automatic limited slip 3 wheel drive when operating in std 4WD without difflock. Honda dealers usually try to avoid the subject alltogether since they have no diff lock quad. So IMO nothing available will work as well in ALL CONDITIONS as a real full time diff lock where an experienced rider can make the decision to engage when necessary. There are many very good riders who do just fine in some pretty nasty situations with only limited slip front ends. In fact rider ability, experience, courage, etc. are usually more important than fancy features. With my inexperience, lack of courage, and lack of ability I decided to get all the help I could get.