Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

LOCKING FRONT DIFF

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOCKING FRONT DIFF

No... I didn't get stuck in that hole... (took a lot of rockin, but I made it) It was my 06 Griz... but I only had the stock tires on then...

Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Buy what you want. You can add a locker later if you decide you need it. Detroit Gearless lockers are only a couple hundred bucks. They may not make them for all models so you should check.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

If price were not such a big factor then most would agree that the full featured Yamaha 450 Kodiak (now 450 Grizzly) would be hard to top. At this time Yamaha will toss in a $400. Warn winch for only $69.95 plus they will add 18 months to the standard 6 month warranty for a total of 24 months of full factory warranty. In California if your credit is solid dealers are also offering 6 months zero down, zero payments, same as cash. Go with the 450 Grizzly and you will not need to wait plus you will definetly not have regrets about not having diff lock or about not getting what you really wanted. The agony of living with something you really did not want will last a lot longer then the thrill of getting a low price.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: oldturtle
The agony of living with something you really did not want will last a lot longer then the thrill of getting a low price.
I have not a made any decisions yet, and this is the very reason why.

While I've said (& truthfully at that) that I'm no speed demon, I want to ensure that the machine will have enough power for deep sticky mud when I go home (Mississippi Delta).

Also, I'm not 100% sure of the types of trails that will be available to me at the hunting club, or at any other local places. I'm heading out to the hunting club Saturday for the first day of bow season & will scout around more then.

Hopefully, some of the other members will also be around and will have 4-wheelers that I can ride on before I make a final commitment.

Truth be told, a 2WD 250 would probably handle my chores 95% of the time. But, that's not what I want, because I do like to play in the mud when I can. I may still end up getting a 2WD 250, but, I'm not gonna buy it just to have an ATV.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

If you're going to be playing in the mud, I'd say you should get a quad with a locker, and IRS for better ground clearance.
love my Kawi, and I'd say to look for a leftover BF650i or well maintained used one. Now is the time you can get good leftover deals.

Truth be told, a 2WD 250 would probably handle my chores 95% of the time. But, that's not what I want, because I do like to play in the mud when I can. I may still end up getting a 2WD 250, but, I'm not gonna buy it just to have an ATV.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Or look at AC, they have the highest ground clearance, and a top rated 4x4 and diff locker system

Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: v2rider
Or look at AC, they have the highest ground clearance, and a top rated 4x4 and diff locker system
I have been, & I believe that's why I haven't picked up a Prairie 360 already.

I can get an '07 AC 500 Auto for $6720 OTD. There was one 06 400 Auto left ($5670 OTD), but that was over a week ago.

With a machine as heavy as a Cat, I personally would have better peace of mind with the 500 over the 400. Plus, the 500 is liquid-cooled, as many members have stated as being a benefit.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:28 AM
No Ruts, No Glory

Rick-

You might try calling some other dealerships, namely ones in Tennessee of all places, where they have the highest ATV per capita sales in the US or did a couple of years ago. I have heard of several folks who have made the trip there from other states to get better deals on ATVs of all different brands...even with traveling expenses figured in they still save several hundred dollars. There is a dealership in East Texas that is reknowned for making extraordinary deals, and by letting a Honda dealer in Austin (central texas) know that I knew of the East TExas dealer, I was offered a significantly lower price.

Might be worth a call/haul

Old 10-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: RickW
Originally posted by: v2rider
I have been, & I believe that's why I haven't picked up a Prairie 360 already.

I can get an '07 AC 500 Auto for $6720 OTD. There was one 06 400 Auto left ($5670 OTD), but that was over a week ago.

With a machine as heavy as a Cat, I personally would have better peace of mind with the 500 over the 400. Plus, the 500 is liquid-cooled, as many members have stated as being a benefit.
The 500 is more powerful then the 400. I used to own a 400, and it was great. Only reason I sold it was because a friend liked it so much and offered me a price I couldn't refuse. Neither is going to blow your mind when you are on a trail, but they will do great in the mud. The 500 would turn the tires better in the thick stuff though. Good luck.

As for a diff-lock, I think I only used my once, but they say it is like a condom, when you don't have one is when you really need one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

I have an 04 3604x4 and never had a problem with it. I ride it pretty hard and have used the locking diff feature a few times. It has saved me from having to use my winch. It is not a very fast ATV, but very reliable IMO. No matter what ATV you buy I would get a winch, it is a great tool especially if you ride alone and in my case my buddies have 2wd and I am alway helping them with it.

I also like the brakes on it, I can crawl down hills and I seem to have better control of it.

Quick Reply: LOCKING FRONT DIFF