Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Twin vs Single

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin vs Single

Which is better? Polaris and Kawi use the "Twins" and Suzuki uses the "Single." What are the main differences in performance, dependability, HP, etc.?

Old 11-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

The Twin motors produce alot, and I mean alot more torque than a single. They make about the same ammound of horsepower or more then a single cylinder of that size. Polaris uses the even firing twin which produces abot 30% more torque than the Kawi's V-twin, but the V-Twin produces more horsepower, so its all about what you need. V-Twins and Even Firing Twins use alot more parts, double of a single cylinder so theres double the chance something might break, but dont let that deture you from getting a Twin Cylinder.

Polaris - Even Fireing twin w/ 2 valve pushrod technology, simple, less mechanics, lower top of the engine, lower center of gravity for the whole machine.

Kawasaki - V-Twin w/ 4 valve SOHC, dependable, mid-performance, high center of gravity

Suzuki - Single Cylinder/ 4 Valve DOHC, dependable, high-performance, high center of gravity

Basicly look at the polaris as a Jeep Rubicon, one hell of an offroad machine that will go anywere and get you back, take a look at the Kawasaki as a toyota tundra with a lift kit and fat tires, nice speedy rice burner [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] thats a little tipsey, but will go anywere and get you back. Then look at the suzuki as a john deere tractor, it just sucks... lol, just playing, look at the suzuki as a Saturn V rocket, damn fast

Old 11-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Twin vs Single

"....Then look at the suzuki as a john deere tractor, it just sucks... lol......" Careful -- I consider my John Deere 1070 (40 hp, four cylinder diesel, 4WD) the ultimate utility ATV. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Tom [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin vs Single

A twin is going to be much heavier, having two of everything (two carbs, two exhausts, two heads, two pistons, etc.), and louder (a 700 twin is like two 350 singles running together).

Not sure I agree with the "high center of gravity" for the single. You can tip a single over pretty far, and get the weight lower. With a twin, there isn't really very far you can go.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

not all singles have high centers, its just htat when you get to a SOHC or a DOHC the top of the engine becomes taller then you would when having a pushrod engine, there for a higher center of gravity. and with teh suzuki being a DOHC, you have 2 cam shafts, which is double the weight than a SOHC. So...

Old 11-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

[
Originally posted by: tguil
"....Then look at the suzuki as a john deere tractor, it just sucks... lol......" Careful -- I consider my John Deere 1070 (40 hp, four cylinder diesel, 4WD) the ultimate utility ATV. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Tom [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

we currently have a JD 495 3 cyl. Diesel, to mow our 5 acres, good tractor.

Old 11-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

Twins are like auto tranny once you taste it you don't want anything else.

Old 11-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Twin vs Single

So what's with Zuki putting a 700 "single" in their latest and greatest?

Also, are the Twins that much louder? Is engine vibration excessive, or more than a single?

Old 11-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

twins have alot less engine vibration then a single because the power is smoother

Old 11-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

im sorry spyder but there is no such thing as a 250r dirtbike. a CR250r maybe

Quick Reply: Twin vs Single