Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Twin vs Single

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin vs Single

"Kawasaki - V-Twin w/ 4 valve SOHC, dependable, mid-performance, high center of gravity"

I think you meant to say that the kawi engine is a high performace V-twin, it has the most horse power of any engine if iam correct. I beleive the BF750 has more HP than a Polaris 800, but polaris has more torque.

Old 12-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin vs Single

Why is the Kawi V-Twin have high centre of gravity when the seat hight for both KQ and p700 are with in an inch or so?

Old 12-08-2004, 04:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin vs Single

Originally posted by: SaskKawiGuy
Why is the Kawi V-Twin have high centre of gravity when the seat hight for both KQ and p700 are with in an inch or so?
Actually the prairie has a much lower center of gravity than either the KQ or the BF. If you want to dispute this fact take the three machines of camber and when the KQ and BF roll I'll be on the prairie laughing.

BTW, I bet you probably arent the one who said the v twin had a high cog so this is aimed at the originator of the idea.

Old 12-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twin vs Single

I agree with you 100%, I was posing the question to the originator but I should have been more carefull when submitting/explaining my point.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

[quote]
Originally posted by: 700vtwinman
Originally posted by: spyder6
The Twin motors produce alot, and I mean alot more torque than a single. They make about the same ammound of horsepower or more then a single cylinder of that size. Polaris uses the even firing twin which produces abot 30% more torque than the Kawi's V-twin, but the V-Twin produces more horsepower, so its all about what you need. V-Twins and Even Firing Twins use alot more parts, double of a single cylinder so theres double the chance something might break, but dont let that deture you from getting a Twin Cylinder.

I agree with you for the most part, but the polaris twin does not make 30% more torque than the kawa v-twin. Go to highlifter.com and check out the independent dyno test of stock motors and you will see that the kawa does produce more HP and it also does produce slightly more torque. The polaris might produce more low end torque, but total torque and and even power/torque ban is what a v-twin gives you. That is not to say the polaris parallel twin is bad. It is very very good. But you stated something that is not facts.

those dynos are only for the 700, which is 60 odd CC's less then the BF, the only motor you can compair to the brute force is the 800 EFI, and it is true that side fire pistons make 30% more torque than a vtwin, its all over the internet

Old 12-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Twin vs Single

Originally posted by: spyder6<brthose dynos are only for the 700, which is 60 odd CC's less then the BF, the only motor you can compair to the brute force is the 800 EFI, and it is true that side fire pistons make 30% more torque than a vtwin, its all over the internet
Ah, so if its all over the Internet it must be ture!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

Originally posted by: Catterman
Originally posted by: spyder6<brthose dynos are only for the 700, which is 60 odd CC's less then the BF, the only motor you can compair to the brute force is the 800 EFI, and it is true that side fire pistons make 30% more torque than a vtwin, its all over the internet
Ah, so if its all over the Internet it must be ture!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
good point...

for the most part, a V-twin is gonna have more power for the displacement, yet side firing pistons are much smoother, and for the most part, tend to rev out a lil more...... thats what ive noticed from a p650 and a sp700

Old 12-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

im not saying that is absolute 100% true, theres probebly some faults in alot of the stuff, but in my opinion if its spred over a mass of sites without plagerized info then there has to be some truth to it somewere. I am certainly not saying V-twins are bad, I'd grab a BF in a second, I'd love to have something that'll get up and go like a sport quad (not that my 800 dosnt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]) but I think you guys get were I'm coming from with that. V-twins and boxers make massive amounts of horsepower and torque but straights make massive amounts of torque but less horse power.

For an example, Car engines use the V engine concept, when you move up to semi engines, your gonna be seeing straight 6's and so on. Even the inline 6 gas motor in the jeep rubicons are ledgendary for there groundbreaking torque. sure there are V-diesels like the international motors they use in fords, but a caterpillar of the same displacement but being an inline is going to be pushing out alot more torque, and basicly power than the V one, mainly because of the inline concept.

I hope i was able to clear some things up with that realative story.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Twin vs Single

Originally posted by: maddog56
Originally posted by: SaskKawiGuy
Actually the prairie has a much lower center of gravity than either the KQ or the BF. If you want to dispute this fact take the three machines of camber and when the KQ and BF roll I'll be on the prairie laughing.

BTW, I bet you probably arent the one who said the v twin had a high cog so this is aimed at the originator of the idea.
i didnt say the quad specificly, engines with camshafts are taller than the polaris engines because they use pushrods, therefor theres also more parts up there, a cam shaft, if not two, 4 or 5 valves, it adds up quickly, so the engines of these big bores are large and because there large the top of the engine is also high, so, the more weight at the top, the more top heavy/ high center of gravity you get. clear?

Old 12-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twin vs Single

[quote]
[quote]
Originally posted by: 700vtwinman

those dynos are only for the 700, which is 60 odd CC's less then the BF, the only motor you can compair to the brute force is the 800 EFI, and it is true that side fire pistons make 30% more torque than a vtwin, its all over the internet
Anyone can post stuff on the internet, but that doesn't make it true or factual. If you would look at the mfg spes, you will see that you are posting false information. The torque is just about the same while the HP is more on a v-twin. Please get the facts straight.

Quick Reply: Twin vs Single