Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Tire selection for an 04 griz

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire selection for an 04 griz

I just recentley got my 04 griz and am very happy with it.The only thing iI dont care for are the stock tires,Just wanting to get some suggestions on what works best on the griz,I dont think i really want to go any taller becuase iam satisfied with the ground clearance, and i think going taller would just add more of a tippy feel to the bike. Iam curious if going wider on the rear would help elliminate some of the tippy feel, in all fairness up till now all I have rode is staight axle quads so maybe the roll feel is just a learning curve of IRS ? I have been looking at the good year rawhides,IPT mudlites . my dealer told me that the rawhides wear really is this true? I mainly just ride the trails here in indiana mostly hard pack, but i do want a tire aggressive enough to get me out of a sticky spot. thanks in advance for any suggestions and info. Dan.s

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

26 dirt devils perfect for you there a 1 and 1/4 tread a very good trail tire and you said about a wider tire the dirt devils have 26-12-12 on the back and 26-10-12 in the front or you could stay with stock size and get the 25-10-12 and 25-8-12 which are a.ts which there tread is 3/4 of tread

i would say go with the dir devils 26 xt's

Old 06-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Range Rover

just dont get tires that cultivate your land or sumone else's

haha

Old 06-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Range Rover

26s... Best size overall and you can get the larger widths in that size.

27s if you want to get the max for stock size and a clutch kit.

28-29.5 if you are going install a lift kit and gorilla axles with a cluth kit.

Id suggest MudLites if you ride where there are no tire restrictions and if you like to mud or go through nasty stuff.

If there is tire restrictions use maxxis bighorns or dirt devils or if you like all terrain type riding.

On a side note, the mudlites are surprisingly badass in sand. I havent gotten stuck yet in mud with them.

My bighorns are a fantastic AT tire. They hook up very well and I have a hard time getting the quad to peel out with them on.

Hope this helps !

Old 06-20-2004, 07:52 PM
Trailblazer

I would have to agree with GSXR that 26" is the perfect size on the Grizzly. I am running 26" Mud LItes on stock wheels and 1" High Lifter wheel spacers and the machine is very stable. If the Mud Lite is to agressive for you then go with the Maxxis Big Horns and they will be coming out in 26" soon if you want to step up to that size. If you want to stay with the 25's then again I would say the Big Horns or if you want an agressive tread and a 25" tire get the Maxxis Mud Bug. The Big Horn and Mud Bug are good in any size but only pick the Lites if you are going with 26" or larger. I am planing on getting a set of 26" Big Horns for a second set of tires and if I had to replace my Mud Lites today I would probably go with the Mud Bug.

Old 06-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just ordered 27s for my 04 grizzly GBC GATORS but i wanted to be able to get over railroad tracks without bottoming out, and with this years rain, places are very muddy round here. will also help in winter too. I hear that this is a great tire and distributorers are having a hell of a time keeping these in stock. I found them on ebay at a real nice price. one thing, stay away from nebraska tire, for all they sell is junk tires, I ordered and found out the hard way.

Old 06-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

Does anyone know the differance in weight between the 26" Mud Light and the 26" Dirt Devil. I'm goint to run my stock tires through the summer and then probably go with the Dirt Devils come Fall.

I went trail riding in the Pembina Gorge this weekend and managed to get myself stuck 6 times. It was my first time playing with the winch. I( had a blast but forgot the camera. Guess I have to go again just to take pictures.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help looks like evrybody likes the mudlites and bighorns,Ill let ya all know how it goes
Dan.S

Old 06-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Here is a weight comparison chart from ITP's web site. They have other size comparisons listed on their mud lite page also.

26x12-12
ITP Mud Lite XL.....26.7 lbs
Dirt Devil...............29.1 lbs
Gator....................30.4 lbs
Bear Claw.............27.8 lbs
Mud Bug................29.0 lbs
Outlaw..................34.9 lbs
Vampire................31.1 lbs

Old 06-23-2004, 09:57 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

I am running 26” Dirt Devils (26x12x12 rears, 26x10x12 fronts) on my Grizzly and they are the best general purpose tire I’ve tried so far. They are tough, they wear well, they self-clean well in the mud and they are easy to powerslide with the IRS Grizzly when you want to. If you mount them on ITP C-Series wheels it will give you a wider stance (about 3” or so) which improves the handling characteristics of your machine. I’m running 5 psi air pressure in the fronts and 4.5 psi in the rears…

Quick Reply: Tire selection for an 04 griz