Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Ramsey vs Warn winches

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramsey vs Warn winches

I only run Warn winches, but have used a few Ramseys on friends quads. They were good too, but my vote goes to Warn.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

I have a Warn 2.0 that is about 7 or 8 years old and has been trough everything and was mounted on a King Quad and now I have the Warn 2.5 on my Kodiak and have to date submerged it up to the headlights and later pulled out a Argo and it did not fail me, oh and I did use it to pull me out when it was submerged and it worked great under water.

I have to agree with maddog, Superwinch are junk, had one when i bought the King Quad and from new it gave me problems until I bought the first Warn. I still have the 2.0 and will mount it on my wifes Timberwolf just as soon as my neighbor makes me a mount for it.

Have not used or know of anyone with a Ramsey so I have no comment on it. AlaskaBoy.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

Just thought id throw in a recent happening.

I bought a new ramsey 2500. I broke off the positive battery cable lead on the winch motor during the install.

I called up ramsey the next day and they sent me a new motor set and gear set for free.

Wonderful customer service.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Range Rover

alaska boy is the man !

Old 05-03-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

GSXRPred,

Thanks, not sure why I am the man but thanks.

AlaskaBoy.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer

I've had Warn winches on trucks and quads for over 20 years without a problem. Warns are tough and reliable.
My last new work truck came with a Ramsey 8000. I gave it a fair trial, but I can't believe what a piece of junk it is. It's slow, wimpy, the freewheel control has been seized solid since new, it's leaked oil since new, the control plug is brittle plastic and broke off, the control itself is counter-intuitive, and the winch's finish flaked off in the car wash. If all Ramseys are like mine, I don't know how they stay in business. It may be cheaper, but it's worth absolutely nothing. After just one year our fleet went back to Warn winches because so many guys complained about the Ramseys.
When you are stuck up to the axles you need a reliable winch. Spend the few extra bucks and get something worthwhile.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I was in this new store a couple days ago by my house and they gave me a brosure of stuff they sell in it I found a winch.I have been wanting to put one on my Rancher.

They have a Ramsey 2500lb $250.00 $285.00 with remote.

They also have a Ramsey 3000lb $300.00 $330.00 with remote.

Are these good deals and witch one would be best for my Rancher350ES?

Thanx

Heres there site if ya wana check them out.

LINK

Old 05-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

yeah those are pretty good prices. make sure you get a roller fairlead and mounting plate also.

The 2500 is right for you.

I dont regret not getting the remote.

Never found a situation where I absolutely needed it.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

I see I'm late to the party on this one, but thought I'd weigh in anyway. I installed a Ramsey wireless 2500 on my AC 400 this past winter. Installation was a pain in the butt (not because it was a Ramsey, but because it was a 'winch'...) but once in, was fine. Everything works as advertised. I've only used it once to pull me up a rock, and once up and looking back, probably could have made it without it. Anyway, I'm totally pleased with it.

However, when we get one for my wife's machine, a dealer will install it. I'm DONE with this headache stuff - ha.

Old 06-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Just my 2 cents, I bought a 1500 superwinch off of e-bay and put it on the old Honda fourtrax and have never had a problem with it. It had been used pretty well before I got it too. I know Superwinch is the K-mart quality winch, but I guess I can't complain, expecially considering the price I got it for. I expect it to fail me when I need it the most, so I am cautious.
I have a Warn 2.5 on the Griz and am confident that it will not fail me. Hope it doesn't prove me wrong.

Quick Reply: Ramsey vs Warn winches