Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Kodiak 450 Stability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak 450 Stability?

I'm interested in a kodiak 450 but was curious about who stable it is. I thought I had read where it was kind of "tippy". Does anyone know how it compares to a prairie 360 and a vinson 500 ? These are the other 2 bikes I'm interested in. The Yamaha seems to have everything I'm looking for but a want a stable bike. Thanks for your opinions and advice in advance.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Trailblazer

I have heard that the Prairie 360 is kind of a dog. The Vinson and the Kodiak are great machines. I have rode both and the ride is pretty comparable. I keep my pre-load on my Kodiak on the stiffest setting in the front. That stops the tippy feel. I have climbed some hills that my friend on his Vinson has not been able to get up. The diff-lock is sure nice to have.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

If stability is what you're looking for in a 400cc class bike, it's not on your list but you should look at the Polaris 400 Sportsman. I was where you're at about a month ago and was having trouble making up my mind in the 400 class....until I finally saw the 400 Sportsman. The IRS is awesome and second to none in my opinion. I'm loving it!

Just a thought!

Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 450 Kodiak and it is great, I cruise in the woods, creeks and hills it runs great, my buddy has a 360
kaw and he struggled on hills that i cruised up, struggling meaning in 3 wheel drive, The diff lock is a whole new world.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Range Rover

I have a Kodiak 450 and it did feel alittle tippy at first but once I got used to the quad I now feel fine on it. I would recommend changing the pre-load as well to help out as well, but it is a great quad and I am very happy with it.

Kevin

Old 02-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

I also have a 450 kodiak and I felt as though it was a litle on the tippy side but after getting use to it I am very cofortable on it. I also put 26 inch 589's on it and the rear tires are at least a couple of inches widder than the stock ones so I am sure that helps the machine be a bit more stable. I will tell you that I rode with a 650 honda with IRS and he let me try it out and I could feel the body roll on it alot more than mine, that to me gave a very tippy feeling to the machine however, I am not saying that it is more tippy it just feels like it. The ride on the IRS machine was un-real it went over the small stuff like it was a paved driveway!

Old 02-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

This question comes up alot and I have to say as long as you get to know the feel of the quad and learn to ride it you will have no problems. If you decide on it take it out and practice with it on flat ground then take it into some harder terrain you will find it no different then any other quad. I went from a King Quad to this and did notice right off that it sat much higher and with the solid axle the handling was stiffer. It only took me 10 minutes to be able to whip it around doing 360's and and sliding the corners just took alittle more leaning then with IRS. It is a great bike and I beleive you will be happy with the 450 Kodiak, as for the other two the Vinson seems to be realy good quad for more money, depending on the deal maybe you can get them for around the same price. No info on the Praire, not many Kawasakis running around Alaska. Mostly Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha with a few Artic Cats thrown in. Wider tires would also help, some people say to get wheel spacers but I am not sold on them just yet, I have seen cars with them and they tend to have bearing and seal issues. I have argued this with another forum member and I am not sold on them to this date, give me some time to see if this is a problem or not in the future and then I will redo my decision. Learn to ride the quad first then make a choice whether you need wider tires or wheel spacers, you might find that it is perfect just the way it is.
Treedoc, did you get the situation taken care of with the dealer over poor workmanship and how about the shifting problem?AlaskaBoy.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:14 PM
eja
Range Rover

ITP C-Series 12'' alum rims will widen your stance. And look sharp too!

Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

Get some C series wheels and some bigger tires and you'll be happy. That's what I plan on doing to my 450 this summer. It's waaaaaaay to tipsy right now.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

What is the price difference between spacers and rims?????
Any body know????

Quick Reply: Kodiak 450 Stability?