Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Power angle snowplow

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power angle snowplow

I've got a moose plow with a mibar system to raise and lower it. I used a Polaris 1500 lb winch about $90 designed to raise/ lower the blade mounted between the pushtubes. I used a couple of pulleys to center the cable onto the winch spool. The cable goes to each end of the blade. The cable goes from one end of the blade around the winch spool 3 times then to the other end of the blade. I then made the spring that originally pulled the angle pin into the locking hole and made it pull the angle pin out. I then took a rubber tie down strap and attached it to the lever that positions the angle pin. When you raise the blade the original spring pulls the pin from the hole because there is not tension on the rubber strap and then the winch can angle the blade. Once the blade is angled then put the blade down and the rubber strap pulls harder than the original spring and pulls the pin into battery locking the blade into place. The winch holds no weight. The winch turns both ways to angle the blade both ways. I will try and post pictures mid week if you are interested. If interested I can post pictures mid week.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Range Rover
Default Power angle snowplow

ya lets see them pics!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I posted pictures in my album. It does not look too pretty but it has held up for over 2 years and I have been rough on it. I have bought a glacier 2 mount and am going to fab up the pushtubes to connect to it. The pictures would make more sense if the plow was attached to the quad. I have not fabricated the coupler to attach to the mount so I cannot attach it to the new quad yet.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Range Rover

I really like your setup with the winch and pulleys i am going to have to try this outwhat kind of winch did you use?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

It was a pure polaris made by superwinch . It is the small spool winch made to raise and lower the plow. It is a 60" moose. If you put it on a smaller plow you will have to start downsizing the turnbuckles and springs. It was a little tricky getting everything lined up and tensioned just right, but once that was done I have not had to mess with it again. Given the length of trouble free time I have had I am going to take it apart and paint it this summer. I am also going to make a small backdrag blade for the backside of it. I bought all of the materials except the winch at the local Ace Hardware Store. If you decide to do it let me know and I will try to walk you through it. Again though the blade must be up to angle. Its shortcoming is that you cannot angle it while pushing a blade full of snow.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

If you do something similar to what I've done to lock and unlock the angle pin it really opens up the door as to what you can use to angle the blade. A winch or actuator without the pin holding the plow in place would PROBABLY at some point strip the gears if the plow hung on something while pushing. This way the item used to move the blade does only that. It does not have the shock loads associated with pushing. Finally, if one of you takes this idea and runs with it to the market place all I ask is that we split the first million.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

I really like this idea i am going to probably do it but my blade is 48 inches so i am going to do like you said and down size a few things. And the raising of the plow to angle it is no problem.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Keep me posted and let me know if you need any help. If you don't need anything let me know how it works out for you. I have been pushing driveways for over 2 years with it and it has saved me a lot of hours without any problems after the initial bugs were worked out. With the size of the springs, turnbuckles, etc it barely has enough room to travel all the way to each side. I have spent a long time on this site learning from you all and am so happy to finally be able to give back on something that has had considerable interest.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

I posted the remaining pictures of the mount plate for the 05 sportsman and how it would attach to that. I had to use a jack and hold it in place under the 09 850 xp but you get the idea of what it would look like attached.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

Thanks i appreciat the pictures. This is definatly do able and a good summer project! again thanks and i will keep ya posted and post pictures when i can!!!!

Quick Reply: Power angle snowplow