Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Tips and Tricks for enclosed trailer as a camper

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips and Tricks for enclosed trailer as a camper

Toy hauler will not suit my needs. Have 7 bikes anywhere from 4-6 bikes go at once.
Bought a used 24' enclosed v-nose with A/C, 30 amp panel and awning so its what I would have bought new but we came across this steal of a deal so we bought it saving about $5000 woohoo

Anyway looking to see how you have beds, storage, and just riding/camping friendly stuff.

I'm not going to load it with cabinets to keep the weight down.
wanting to do fold down beds from sides with a couple real mattresses even thinking bunk bed style.

also considering buying a portable toilet for the girls.

Pics would be cool as even others could take from your tips and ideas.

Thank you.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

I know this post is a bit old, but i just bought a 8.5x 20 enclosed trailer and started setting it up for camping. Unlike yours mine came with nothing inside, this is being used on guy type riding trips as i have a regular travel trailer for when the wife goes.

So far i have added a 30amp panel, outlets, and some led strip lighting which are similiar to flourescent shop lights. One other thing i have done is glued foam bd insulation to the roof to keep the noise level down if it rains. my intention is buy some folding cots for sleep i dont have plans to add water as we will be at campgrounds with facilities. If i were setting this up as my only trailer i would definetly add a hot water heater shower/toilet. Maybe looking into finding an old cheap travel trailer to pull the parts from.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:17 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friend just did one. It has the side sliding screen window and inside screen door for air without bugs.
We took out the ply wood and insulated it and painted the interior from raw plywood to white for a more cheery bright larger feel.

He just bought two of these folding beds that go beside or in front of his ATV while traveling and their comfy.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 1eep
I know this post is a bit old, but i just bought a 8.5x 20 enclosed trailer and started setting it up for camping. Unlike yours mine came with nothing inside, this is being used on guy type riding trips as i have a regular travel trailer for when the wife goes.

So far i have added a 30amp panel, outlets, and some led strip lighting which are similiar to flourescent shop lights. One other thing i have done is glued foam bd insulation to the roof to keep the noise level down if it rains. my intention is buy some folding cots for sleep i dont have plans to add water as we will be at campgrounds with facilities. If i were setting this up as my only trailer i would definetly add a hot water heater shower/toilet. Maybe looking into finding an old cheap travel trailer to pull the parts from.
You should start a build thread with pics.
Back in the day we had a 9 horse trailer, gooseneck. Took the neck and front 3 stalls and turned it into bunks, table, kitchen and br with salvaged camper parts.
Look into a vct tile to mastic down on the floor then apply wax. Makes clean up nice and easy.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Jgar....i have a 35' travel trailer, last thing i need is another house on wheels. i needd to replace my old open trailer and thats what prompted the purchase of this trailer. i just wanted something to throw a sleeping bag in when we head far north without the woman, tired of sleeping in a tent. typically we stay at campgrounds up north that have bathhouses. this is a basic no frills enclosed trailer that is fairly light, i know some of those horse trailers can be heavy!

Currently the floor is paint, i might look into some sort of flooring but, you know what my machine looks like after riding i might need a backhoe to clean the mud out of the trailer!

Now the bad side to this trailer is that its bigger! 8.5'x20', with a interior ceiling height of 6.5', so when i got to LMFT i have no idea where im parking!

Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Just a couple ideas. I know one of you indicated that you didn't want load up in cabinets etc. Well, just a thought to consider. With a toilet and kitchen, it becomes a second home and you can deduct interest if you need the tax writeoff. Secondly, Having Hot water is great. I have a trailer I outfitted with a tankless unit and a 80 gallon water tank. It works great. I can haul enough water for all my camping needs AND have hot water when I need it. Sure beats the little 5 gal one that comes in most trailers. I can't for the life of me understand why all homes and trailers don't come with them.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 1eep
Jgar....i have a 35' travel trailer, last thing i need is another house on wheels. i needd to replace my old open trailer and thats what prompted the purchase of this trailer. i just wanted something to throw a sleeping bag in when we head far north without the woman, tired of sleeping in a tent. typically we stay at campgrounds up north that have bathhouses. this is a basic no frills enclosed trailer that is fairly light, i know some of those horse trailers can be heavy!

Currently the floor is paint, i might look into some sort of flooring but, you know what my machine looks like after riding i might need a backhoe to clean the mud out of the trailer!

Now the bad side to this trailer is that its bigger! 8.5'x20', with a interior ceiling height of 6.5', so when i got to LMFT i have no idea where im parking!
There is going to be a bigger lmft parking lot. The first work party is in sept. I'll get you the date and time if you are interested. The Jeep guys are in the lead. Must be a pia for them to park their rigs, .
Here is a link to a contractor trailer build thread. I'm sure you could copy some or portions of these setups.
I have a 14' enclosed that I started to build shelving in. So far I have a 7' section of shelves built. It took 4 sheets of 1/2" AC plywood to build. I'll see about getting some pics. Best advise I can give is start with a drawing and build the system around the items you want to bring along.
Job Site Trailers, Show Off Your Set Ups! - Page 2 - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Old 09-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You might want to look at a trailer manufacturer called www.looktrailer.com and check out their packages section. they have a camper package that can be mounted in any trailer that basically is a popout bed that mounts on the sides of the trailer and pops out like a popup trailer. Takes up minimal space.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

Good replies
80% of camping will be at campgrounds with all hookups and bathrooms

other places we go is strictly for riding and roughing it. What i do for hot water, I went by a full service car wash and asked for drums. they were happy to give me 2 of them, 1 even had about 2 gals of super concentrated degreaser so i have years of degreaser. Anyway cleaned them, cleaned them again and 1 more time. So i use 2 of the camp shower bags from walmart, $7 ea, fill 1 drum with water, its in back of my truck. when at camp i fill the shower bags and set them on a black tarp so they are super hot. Im in SW florida so you can imagine how hot the water gets. dump one bag into drum right at shower time. i have a 800gph bilge pump in drum, seperate old battery and a momentary switch at the nozzle on a 10' hose that leads to the shower canopy. push button get water it works beautifully. Even colder days the sun still heats the bag, down here just cant wait till midnight to get a shower, although i have used the turkey fryer to get water warm and pour it in the drum but i don't like that idea.

I'll have to check those cots out, most i looked at are short, im 6'4, and we have the extra mattresses anyway.

We lucked out with our trailer it was used for a site office of a large roofing company so it has nice wooden paneling walls and wood flooring. Even insulated paneling on ceiling I throw down a big outdoor carpet when i take the bikes then use that same carpet for under the awning at camp.

I do want to put a window or 2 in just for the natural light, but when we go to bed now its really dark and cold. PERFECT

If we are not on elec hookup, i bought 10 of the dollar store solar lights for around the seating area outside and at night i take 2 inside so it lights the trailer if needed when going in and out getting stuff, then put outside when bedtime.

we don't run the generator until about 1/2 hr before bed, the AC unit cools pretty quick.

Ill try to post pics possibly when i make the folding beds, i have to engineer it so weight is distributed on floor at all times and not pulling on the square channel ribs of the trailer.

Also about the cabinets, we have a couple of the tall 3 drawer white sterilite and 2 of the wide 2 drawer things we found at a garage sale. nice and light and hold quite a bit of stuff for now. that and bins well marked holds just about everything that we want to leave in trailer.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one is cool, although it's not a V-nose

The booth makes into a bed.

Quick Reply: Tips and Tricks for enclosed trailer as a camper