Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is mine kinda finished, sleeps 4 easy,holds 3 full size ATV's, cabinets,micro,fridge,10k btu propane heater. still need to build some screen enclosures for the summer. dont have a pic with the bunks but they stay upright and i also have a fold up table and 4 chairs that go in it, stayed in it for deer hunting and it worked awsome..oh yeah also has a 21" flat screen tv.

Attached Thumbnails Enclosed Trailer-trailer-cab-2.jpg   Enclosed Trailer-truck-trailer.jpg  
Old 02-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Enclosed Trailer

We use an 8X24 Enclosed trailer. We have hauled five utility quads and all of our gear (spare tires, clothes, helmets, sleeping bags, 30 gallon water tank for clean-up) comfortably. We have shelves in the front and a generator, microwave, grill, radio, all wired for 110 with two eight foot flourescent lights. Floor is covered in interlocking rubber 18X18 inch rubber mats out of a Best Buy store. We roll the quads out and blow up the air mattresses and sleep on the floor...works really well...

Old 04-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Hoytec, that is cool. I like how you used the big vendor windows and had a side load ramp door on the opposite side. Unique use of space. My enclosed is a v-nose, I hate it. Trying to mount cabinets up in the nose is useless. I walled mine off and made a large enclosed area for an 85 gal water tank, plumbing pump, water softener/propane tanks and tankless water heater. ( never run out of hot water) Next time, I get a flat front. Makes it way easier to mount stuff. Besides, I have tried to drive out the nose with my ATV and it don't work as well as you might think.

Is it wide enough to get two machines side by side?

Old 04-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Wiskey Tango, I have seen them. They work well. I guess if you can get by with only one strap per machine, I could hang one on the rear wheel of each machine. I plan of getting etrack, so that shouldn't be a problem popping them out. I just don't know if I feel comfortable with only one of them per machine. I'd feel buch better with two per machine. When I load two side by side, there isn't a lot of room to crawl around. I have thought about having gas doors added, but way down at floor level every 7 ft so I can reach in and strap on, strap off.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Nice setups! Getting some good ideas for mine!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Hoytec, that is cool. I like how you used the big vendor windows and had a side load ramp door on the opposite side. Unique use of space. My enclosed is a v-nose, I hate it. Trying to mount cabinets up in the nose is useless. I walled mine off and made a large enclosed area for an 85 gal water tank, plumbing pump, water softener/propane tanks and tankless water heater. ( never run out of hot water) Next time, I get a flat front. Makes it way easier to mount stuff. Besides, I have tried to drive out the nose with my ATV and it don't work as well as you might think.

Is it wide enough to get two machines side by side?
yep, its 8.5 wide, i would need to take the bunks out which isnt hard but it holds 3 big machines easy, i have to make some screen enclosures for the windows and also thinking of a screen door on the inside for summer camping. then i got to thinking about going to the canvas shop and seeing about getting a canvas drop made for the back with screens in it.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have both and like someone said earlier. Open trailer for short day trips is easier on everything from cleanup to loading and unloading. But on a long trip the enclosed trailer has SO many other uses and possiblities as others have show some of there creative work etc...

Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

My dad has an '04 dodge cummins 2500 (Stock). We also have a 24ft Vintage enclosed trailer/camper. We can still fit 5 full size atvs and one small one in there with our cabinets, counter, and fold up bunk beds. Although i dont remember the year on that may be an '06. We also have a small old utility trailer that we can fit two full size atvs on it.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

The other thing is that there is a huge price difference between open and enclosed. With the whole trailer industry suffering right now, you can get some pretty good deals. I still have not made up my mind what I want to do. I have a guy in main ready to build me an all alluminum enclosed (22ft deckover with three axles for more load carrying capacity) but the cost is around 9K. That will haul 6 full size utility quads and all the gear. I can also get a 25 ft open car hauler that will haul 6 sideways, has way more load capacity, for under 3K. So I can do a lot of things with 6K in my pocket. Besides, I am at that age where camping just doesn't have that same appeal to me. I like my bed, warm showers and hot meals without bugs munching on my body parts. Mrs DB feels the same way. It is OK for the grand kids to sleep in a tent, or in a hot trailer, but I like my AC. I can get a lot of hotel rooms for that 6K. I've considered a motor home pulling a trailer too, but every time I start crunching numbers, it just doesn't add up. My truck is nearly paid off, and who knows what happens then. Hopefully retirement and full timing it. Then we might look at a motorhome and maybe a stacker trailer for the toys and a place for my Porsche. I will need groceries once in a while you know....

Old 10-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

Have been contemplating getting an enclosed trailer for some time now. Did a search and found this thread.

My truck is the 5.4 Ford F-250 so it's not exactly a beast when it comes to power. But it's paid for and dependable!!! I am trying to chase down an overheating issue (I think it's a clogged radiator but unfortunately only one way to find out...).

We thought about a true Toy Hauler style trailer for quite a long time but they are cost prohibitive unless we get a "well used" one.

The biggest driving factor is that I currently have two full-sized utilities, a full-sized sport quad and a mini that will be a full-sized sport quad before I know it! The wife has mentioned getting a 5th wheel toy hauler but to get one that hauls FOUR full-size quads means I'd also have to get another truck - a diesel - and that combination puts us almost at the cost of our house!!

I can get a bumper-pull toy hauler that hauls three quads plus still put one in the truck bed.

We camped for many years before we all got our quads and we thought back that we never really used the bathroom or the shower or the stove. So now that you know my life story (sorry if too long for some) but this is what led us to begin looking at enclosed trailers.

Some of what we'd like to do/need:
- 8.5' wide to fit quads side-by-side
- Have 12v lighting AND 110v lighting
- 110v Power outlets and be able to plug into campsite power. Running water isn't necessary but having a small water storage tank might be useful.
- Awning
- Side door that can be locked from inside and NOT be locked from outside if we are inside!!
- Some type of climate control. A heater to take the edge off on cold nights and A/C on those super-hot nights
- A few chairs and a table inside
- Sleeping for at least 4. Fold-down bunks would be nice
- Small counter space and storage space
- Refrigerator. This is a MUST. Should we bother going with LP and hooking all of that in???

And with over 2500 lbs. in

I can design and build all of counters and cabinets and fold-down beds so the cost to add that stuff would be rather small (materials only).

I see a few guys simply throw down air-matresses but I can't be the 1st guy to do all of this stuff. Even if you don't have in-process photos does anyone have photos of a finished design??

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer