Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toy Hauler vs Camper + Ultimate Rack Opinions Please

Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other option would be to go motorhome, or pickup with slide in camper and a utility trailer.

With a motorhome you would have the additional engine to maintain, plus another vehicle that requires liability insurance.

One of my riding friends bought my old SRW 3500 and put a BigFoot 2500 series 10.6 on it (like 2700 lbs), and a super-hitch, and he tows his ATV trailer with that. This also required air bags.

Advantage I suppose is that he can get the pickup and camper most any place a person can get a pickup, and he can also take camper and boat (where that would be tough if your only camper was a toyhauler, or if you went bumper pull camper and rack).

Disadvantage would be that it is really a production to load and secure the camper, attach the long super-hitch (super heavy), hitch to the utility trailer, get the quad out of the garage and tied down... you get the picture. Since the ground where he parks isn't very level, he can't load the camper with the hitch on, as it sticks out and would likely spear the floor.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Really depends on what type of accomodations you are looking for. If you don't need much, a larger "Alaskan" style topper would work nicely with a conventional utility trailer.

I went through the same mental process you are going through and decided on a toy hauler with a fifth wheel. It was used and a good deal so I went with an open floor design that has a garage area as large as you want it - so long as you don't mind quads in your kitchen. Keep in mind, I already had a Dodge 3500 dually witht he Cummins ans a six speed that towed a 16,000 gooseneck.

I did look into the racks that slip into the bed and while I was very confident in my truck's ability to haul it i was put off by the higher CG and the price (with shipping) compared to other options. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

Another option, but I'm not sure if this is allowed in all states. Here in MN if you have a 5th wheel camper trailer, you can pull a second trailer behind the camper. So you could have the camper hooked up to your pickup, and a second trailer with your ATVs on it.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have and have been using a Marathon Sled Deck to haul my atv's on my 2003 Chev 2500 for a couple of years. I pull my 28 foot travel trailer at the same time. Best setup as far as I am concerned. The marathon deck is all aluminum so it is nice and light, as well the sides slide in when not in use - you won't crack your shoulder into the corner !!!

I used to have an older metel deck that I used on a 1/2 chevy. It worked fine as well, but it was better after I put in a set of rear air bags, made it much more stable. They should be avaiable for your dodge as well.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Raven95150
Another option, but I'm not sure if this is allowed in all states. Here in MN if you have a 5th wheel camper trailer, you can pull a second trailer behind the camper. So you could have the camper hooked up to your pickup, and a second trailer with your ATVs on it.
Illegal here in Oregon. It varies state by state.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Range Rover

Its already been mentioned, but I can promise you that you will not fit the two quads side by side without some lifting. My KZ is a full 8' on the inside and I have to trick my two sports bikes inside the cargo area. With that being said, my yfz does have the wider stance, but the two bikes you mentioned will be at least as wide as my wife's Raptor and even two of them would be a tight fit side by side and my hauler is a full 8' which is not typical of most.
I also have to agree with another post about the toy haulers being a pain with not being able to ride from the camp sites in most areas. That is the biggest complaint I have about a toy hauler. Of course that could be fixed by smart placement of RV parks, and people not allowing thier children to joy ride in the campgrounds and instead get out on the trails with them, but thats another story.
Other than the two complaints I absolutely love my toy hauler. We spend the summers at the lake fishing and we use the garage as a mud room so I don't have to come into the camper with fish on me. Keeps the wife happy. And we all know that when the wife is happy, everyone is happy...

Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Not sure all the info you are getting is correct. the only way to know if you have enough room is to measure. Most ATV's are a little under 48 inches wide stock, and a rule of thumb is you need a minimum of 7 ft in length for the garage. Some are a little longer. Most garages in a toy hauler will be wide enough for parking two side by side. Many garages will be in the area of 10 to 12 ft long. Plenty of room to drive two in side by side. The rule of thumb though is to measure twice, purchase once.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

I know this is an older post but I am now starting to look for an option aside from buying a toyhauler. We would like to keep our current travel trailer but haul 2 quads, the diamond back I don't think is an option since my machine is a 2 up and wheelbase might be too much for a side load. SO I have been looking at the ultimate rack, HAs anybody got one and if so what are your opinions on it?

Old 04-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've managed to roll over an SUV and a van that didn't have the high center of gravity that you would have hauling 2 ATVs above the box of a truck. It wouldn't take much to roll it IMO. A sudden swerve and it would be on it's side.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

I wont ask how fast you would drive when towing a 35' travel trailer then, I do realize that the quads being above the box would change the CG.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toy Hauler vs Camper + Ultimate Rack Opinions Please