Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Jeep Liberty tow vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Liberty tow vehicle?

I have 2 quads: a Yamaha Grizzly and a Honda Rubicon. I tow both on a 12x6 trailer that weighs roughly 1200-1500 lbs. Since I don't have much confidence in the modern day automatic transmission, can anybody tell me if I'll have any long term issues with my Liberty if I tow this load about once per weekend? I'm especially interested to hear other Liberty owners tell me their thoughts. The vehicle is rated at a 5000lb. tow capacity. It struggles to pull steep hills on the highway though.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

I dont think you would have a problem other than its going to be under powered. I would definetly put a tranny cooler in it. Also, because of the size of the liberty, I would not suggest pulling more than 2000 lbs with it. Simply put, it just doesnt have a wheel track that I would consider it to be a safe tow vehicle.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watch your tranny temps and install a cooler if you don't already have one. It may be helpful to have a temp gauge that reads in degrees. With your trailer, quads, passenger, fuel, and gear, I am sure you are pushing 80% of your tow limit, which is a guideline many try not to go over. Just don't push her real hard on the hills and change your fluid more often, asap if it overheats. You should be fine. You might want to try some of the Liberty specific forums for better input to tranny issues.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input. I'll have to look into tranny coolers. I wonder if my warranty would be void if I installed one?

Old 09-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider

lol don't tow over 2000 pounds with a jeep liberty please, under power please, i tow 1200 pounds on average with a 4 cyl subaru legacy a 93 at that. you 'll be fine, have fun and stop worrying

and if you do install a tranny coolerm, it will not void the warrenty unless it directly caused the failure

Old 09-20-2006, 06:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CHeck with a dealer on the warranty issue, but you should be fine. For those that are really paranoid, you could have a dealer install a mopar product(for an astronomical fee I presume.)

Old 09-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

thanks lil bill u made my choice even easier i drive a saab 9-3 and i was almost thinking towing two quads lol, but with ur post i will do just one, i'll tell the wifey to get her own trailer and hookup to tow hers when ever we get em in late winter.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: LittleBill
lol don't tow over 2000 pounds with a jeep liberty please, under power please, i tow 1200 pounds on average with a 4 cyl subaru legacy a 93 at that. you 'll be fine, have fun and stop worrying

and if you do install a tranny coolerm, it will not void the warrenty unless it directly caused the failure
Read much LittleBill?? **points at signature**

I think he was being sarcastic because I said not to tow over the 2000 lbs and what ever, hence why everything ends in please [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. I guess he didnt notice my sig cause I also tow with a Subaru [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]. Anyways, you can tow both quads with your liberty no problem. Just do the tranny cooler thing, dont push the liberty 2 hard on hills, and (this is my personal recomendation, as a certified DOT inspector) dont tow over 2000 lbs.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kickass210
thanks lil bill u made my choice even easier i drive a saab 9-3 and i was almost thinking towing two quads lol, but with ur post i will do just one, i'll tell the wifey to get her own trailer and hookup to tow hers when ever we get em in late winter.
lol, just to **** off the "certafied DOT inspector" (i don't want to mention names :-)) i have towed only on occassion a 6x12 trailer with a foreman and rancher, with gear, prolly up near 2500 pounds. i was able to maintain 55-60 mph quite easily. i would pull hills (when i say hill i mean truck grade with 3 lanes) at 42-4500 rpm with that weight, but the car did fine.

LaPurr whats your point about your signature anyway? Your comparing 2 completely different vehicles

you have a h-6 rated at 250 hp, my 93 is rated at 130 hp. not even close, you shouldn't be even noticing the trailer with that kind of power

not to mention you have a SUV where as i have car. where is the similarity???

the only thing your vehicle and mine has in common, is who makes it.

maybe im not the one who needs the reading help LOL

and not to be a dick but, a couple classes and some money is all it takes to be a DOT inspector in PA.

i almost became one, but realized there was no money in it. i was a diesel mechanic for 3 years (but really who cares) it doesn't really make your opinion any more valid then anyone else who has ever towed

i can actually tow with cruise on too. lol

Old 09-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

The jeep is too small and has too short a wheelbase for towing.

Quick Reply: Jeep Liberty tow vehicle?