Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Bed high, ATV "carrier" for pickup trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed high, ATV "carrier" for pickup trucks...

Howdy all...

I've seen this item available for sleds and can not remember the name of it. It's a gizmo that mounts to the top of the bed rails on a pickup truck and it can carry two sleds. Loading is done with ramps. Does anyone have any idea of where I can find info on this or know the name of the product?

Thanks......

Old 03-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this one:

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/.../ultimate.html

Old 03-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Range Rover

Thanks jaybeecon55... That's not the exact model I had seen before, this one seems to be better built!!! What do you think about hauling a SP700 and a Scambler with this type of rack system on the back of a Super Cab Ford Diesel?

Thanks......

Old 03-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Assuming since it's a diesel that it's a 3/4 or one-ton.....I don't keep up with the specs on Ford as much as GM [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

If your truck is that heavy-duty, it will do it with no problem. Should be about 1,300 pounds of ATV's with those two. The weight will be well balanced front to back .....it's the side to side motion that you'll have to be careful about. I'd think that this type of set-up would be excellent for a duelly and will work wth some cautious turning for other single wheel HD trucks.

Definately no problem pulling the load. I'll see if I can dig up some of the other manufactures of similar bed racks.

Jaybee

Old 03-15-2004, 02:18 AM
Quad Patrol

I built a rack that is similar to the ultimate rack, When I first built it, I was using a 1/2 ton chevy 4x4 extended cab to haul it around and it worked great. It did not effect the way my truck handled. It actually improved my fuel mileage. Guess it improved the aerodynamics when I towed my trailer. I now own a F250 4x4 powerstroke that I haul it in. Again, no effects on the way my truck handles.

Old 03-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

My husband built a "rack" for our 2 Prairies in the back of our '77 Chevy truck. It was made out of wood, cost about $130. (if I remember right). It sure got a lot of looks going down the road. The quads were loaded sideways into the bed of the truck. There is a pic of it in our folder - one of the last ones in the Windrock folder. The truck is a camper special 3/4 ton with 1 ton springs (and a 454!) (Mrs. Q)

Old 03-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought the Ultimate Rack and I love it! I have only gone on a couple of trips but it works great with our 2003 F250 Crew Cab V10. We haul the quads listed in sig. Polaris quads are wide so we have about an inch on each side with the quad tires touching.

If you have any questions let me know! The site is atvracks.com and the folks are great to deal with.

Old 03-30-2004, 05:24 AM
Trailblazer

Here is one that rests on the bed rails and is made of aluminum. http://www.atvhaul.com/details.asp?Product_ID=1 There is a fella in AZ that has one forsale for $600. http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/t...?TOPIC_ID=8273

Old 04-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Pro Rider

we went to the dunes in Oregon, and i think I was the only one using my set-up. I have an 96"x112" snowmobile deck converted for atvs. all aluminum frame with checkerplate deck. the beaver tail is hinged so I can haul our 30' travel trailer.I have a slightly longer ballmount, 24" long. the ramp slides inside box and sits on deck frame so I have most of my box for storage.the ramp hooks onto the beavertail for easy loading/unloading. I used expanded aluminum for traction on ramp. whole thing is very light. my wife and i load it by hand.I use camper belly-bars with chains and turnbuckles to stabilize deck. we've gone on some really rough roads with this deck, no problem. I put 4 quads on, 2 adults and 2 kids, plus bicycles for 3, plus my spare tire, with room for other assorted junk.

to check out photos, go to www.quads.ca and check the thread, "canuckleheads atv moving skills". It's either in the general topics section, or the trips and events section. I really think this is the ultimate way to haul quads and trailer.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Quad Patrol

Confused, that is a neat way to haul all your stuff, do u know what the weight ius over your rear axle with everything loaded including your trailer?

Quick Reply: Bed high, ATV "carrier" for pickup trucks...