Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Tech Tips: ATV Winching

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 PM
ATV Reporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Tips: ATV Winching

Hey guys, we posted an article to help you out with winching!

Originally Posted by ATV Connection
As ATV riders we like to kid ourselves into believing that no terrain is beyond the grasp of our machines and yet each day there are countless ATVs around the world sitting motionless on account of overzealous riders getting in over their heads.

When this happens there are only a few choices and of these even fewer could be considered pleasant. Speaking from experience getting off and pushing is option 1, having someone else with a strong ATV and stronger tow strap to give you a tug is option 2, and leaving your ATV in the mud pit till the dry season arrives may work for some. Then there are those among us with the foresight to realize life is full of surprises and the trails are filled with much worse.
To read the rest of the article, click here!

Any tips to add? Have any crazy winching stories to share?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

there were time in the mud last week i wished i had a winch when my out lander not even handle bars were showing and i had to push it out but it still keeped running getting one this weekend and installing it

Old 04-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

If it looks like you might be stuck enough that you will be making your winch work near its max, employ the use of a pulley block.
Attach the pully block to the anchor point, then run your bikes winch cable through it then back to your ATV. This simple trick doubles the pulling power of your winch.
If possible place a coat on top of the winch cable when pulling with it.
If cable should happen to let go for any reason, it will prevent it
from snapping back at the bike at 100 miles per hour.

Never use your winch to secure your ATV to your trailer when towing.
The shock load being constantly applied the winch gearhead is not
what the winch was designed to take.
Winch's are desined to take a steady constant load.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 450kodiak
If it looks like you might be stuck enough that you will be making your winch work near its max, employ the use of a pulley block.
Attach the pully block to the anchor point, then run your bikes winch cable through it then back to your ATV. This simple trick doubles the pulling power of your winch.
If possible place a coat on top of the winch cable when pulling with it.
If cable should happen to let go for any reason, it will prevent it
from snapping back at the bike at 100 miles per hour.

Never use your winch to secure your ATV to your trailer when towing.
The shock load being constantly applied the winch gearhead is not
what the winch was designed to take.
Winch's are desined to take a steady constant load.
X2 on all the above comments. Oh, and you might want to get a hook on the end of your winch line. (See above picture)

Old 04-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Couple other tips are to dig a ramp in the mud or snow if it's firm enough. Will make the winch's job that much easier. Bring a tree strap. It's a strap with a hook on each end. The strap is usually made out of a flat nylon material similar to seat belts. It doesn't dig into the tree being used as the anchor point. A cable will cut right through the bark and can gird the tree, killing it, and making it hard to pull the cable out of the tree.

Another trick that we used when I broke through a 3" thick ice that covered 10" of water, over 3-4' of ice was to tie two or more quads together with a strap in between each quad. We effectively had 12 wheel drive and were able to pull my quad out of the ice.

Lastly, it's a good idea to put a jacket or blanket over the winch cable when pulling. It will keep the cable from whipping back towards you if your cable breaks.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

~Anyone not directly involved in trying to extricate the ATV should get out of the area.
~Don't hold on to the cable when winching.
~Wear gloves ESPECIALLY when handling the cable.
~Visually inspect the cable for kinks and damage before winching.
~When you are done, respool carefully and under tension making sure the cable spools on evenly.

I'm sure there's more but between what's been mentioned and these I just listed I can't think of any right off the top of my head

Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Trailblazer

Great tips