Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

what pipe gives the Z the most power gains?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what pipe gives the Z the most power gains?

i was wondering if there was any tests on the pipes made for the Z and which was the best to gain the most HP. thanks

Old 01-14-2003, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

Just a pipe wont give you what you want as far as power gains. Most pipes will be real close in design. Depending on what kind of riding you do will tell you what you need to do to your quad. Drag race, MX, woods, leisure? Most guys dont even need the additional power cause they dont ride the quad to its full potential. If you are constantly hitting the rev limiter and just cant catch the next guy then go ahead and look for a power kit otherwise if you just ride in the woods you are just making noise!

Old 01-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

For a stock Z the Yoshi works well if your going to mod the motor go with CT/GraydonProline will give the most peak HP
Pat

Old 01-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

i want to have my quad as close to race ready without the engine work. i would like basically want a jet kit and modify the air box some. A full pipe system and a few other minor things like a rev kit. i ride woods and track and i am not worried about the noise. after i had enough power gain i will go through the suspension.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find the Feb and March issues of ATV RIDER. The Feb issue has a dyno shootout of "quiet" pipes. The March issue is supposed to have a dyno shootout of the "performance" pipes. This is nice SCIENTIFIC DATA, not the SEAT OF THE PANTS kind of comments you will get from us riders!!! In the Feb issue, it looks like the Yoshi full system is the big winner!!

Old 01-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

I think you rather here our seat of the pants when you here the power gain they get 1 to 3 hp gain with a full system..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Yoshi is a good all a round pipe system

Old 01-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the TORQUE CURVES. That is way more important than HP. (Most manufacturers dynos don't include torque. When they don't, I naturally presume it is because they are EMBARRASSED AT THE RESULTS!!) This machine really needs some help on the low end, and most pipes give a pretty good increase in low end torque.

In the Feb. issue the best gains were around 3 hp, but remember these are "quiet" pipes. And we all may be forced to run these pipes in the future!!!

Old 01-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Good point RECON I think if you dropped a tooth in the front to give you that low end and put a Yoshi to add more flow and spead out your power band you would have a nice all around bike.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Check out Duncan Racings Fat Boy 4.Sounds sweet and its the Nicest looking Pipe i have seen on a 4 Stroke. Late,zubbeyboy

Old 01-15-2003, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

The Z already has too much wheel spin so you dont want to go a tooth smaller on the front sprocket you want to go up to a 15 tooth sprocket. If you are ONLY racing I would go with the Trinity Racing full system, it leaves the most room for you to build your quad up. Like I said earlier if you are in the woods you need to stay as quiet as possible. We (off-road riders) are already fighting a battle with the sierra club and other greenies! Sound output in the woods is just another subject they could use to shut down our riding areas. Check out the manufactures quiet series pipes and I think you will find that the Yosh quiet pipe will be the best!