Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

How to remove the swing arm pivot bolt on an '85 250R?

Old 04-10-2002, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For two days now ive been trying to get my engine out and am getting fed up! I cant get this swing arm bolt out. the book says nothing on how to get it out. It says

"Take the nut off the end of the swing arm pivot bolt. Withdraw the swing arm bolt just enough to to clear the engine mounting bracket."

It does not tell me wether only one end is threaded or both are. But easy enough right? WRONG i have turned that bolt every wich way from sunday and it spins but does not move in or out. So i figure after that effort that it must slide out i fashioned a wooden peg and tried tapping it out, but it didnt budge so i beat on the peg with the back of an axe with no prevail.

So i now lie at your mercy i have tried everything i know. I did unbolt all the other engine bolts connecting it to the frame. i think it might be froze-up but like i said, it spins.

(A note in the book told me to support the atv from the bottom to keep the swing arm from falling.) I have tried it with and without support.

Your help is greatly needed and appreciated.

Thank you for listening to my banter,
Matt

Old 04-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

The problem that you are having is that the swingarm pivot bolt and bearings have not been maintained and the sleeves inside the bearings are frozen to the pivot bolt. I had this problem with a Honda ATC250R I'm restoring. I put an air hammer on it and it would not budge, not even a CH. I put it in a press and it would not come out. It came out in 3 pieces with the help of a Sawzall. I hope you don't have to go that route.

Old 04-11-2002, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I took mine out with a phillips screwdriver and a BIG hammer. On the end the nut goes onto it has a small hole in just enough to get the screwdriver centered. Use an old screwdriver and beat and bang on it until you wake the dead. And the side with the nut is the only side that's threaded.

Old 04-11-2002, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer

thanks guys. Thats just what she needed a pipe the same diameter as the bolt and a 10lb slege.
With a bit of banging she poped out. How can i take care of the bushings(spacers) to prevent this from hapening again?

THanks again

Matt

Old 04-12-2002, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

Greese and proper mainentance, If you ride allot changing the bearings once a year is a good practice. I know its a pain, but at least you don't have a 92, 91 and 92 are way harder to change, shock linkage is a pain.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with 2strokes, proper maintenance goes a long way. I would replace your bearings and clean up any of the pivot points with some emery cloth or replace as necessary. Make sure to use a good waterproof grease with a high washout temp.