Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Very old bike - info needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my hands on my first ride! It's a 70 or 71(i think) Suzuki Rover 90. It's in pretty rough shape, rust everywhere, seat tore and it's been in a barn for years.

I'm looking for anyone out their that has one. Anyone have any resources on it like where to get parts, maybe a manual, etc.

Old 03-07-2002, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

No one ever heard of this...... I guess that's a good thing. It just up'ed the value X 10.

Old 03-08-2002, 07:24 PM
The Facility

Hey NewDSLover, the Rover was never a very popular machine back in the day, so there aren't many around now. It wasn't because the machine was bad, but because Honda was the first one with similar machine that was released in 1969. The Suzuki's just weren't as popular then because alot of people had never heard of them.

As far as parts are concerned, I have only seen two of these things in my entire career and both were in the shop for restoration. Both ended up going back home the way they came in because nearly everything was discontinued on them. You might want to search around on e-bay a bit and search the salvage yards.

Alot of times, all kinds of machinery ends up in the swap meets at motorcycle rallies. If you do some digging, you can find some of these vendors and find out what they have.

Good luck in restoring your bike. At least you do still have yours. I would do anything to get back my Honda Trail 70 back. It was a '72 model. Yellow and chrome. Hip huh?? Good luck.

Old 03-08-2002, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

alot of those old bikes are just junk i had a 1975 IT400 i got at a sale for 80 buck's took another 40 to get it up to spec and then sold it to a frined for 300 who finshed putting it togther and not even a year later it had to be deep sixed because he couldn't find any part's for it at all i just hope you need pay much for your bike

Old 03-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

AHHHH..the honda trail 70..I had one when i was 8 years old and thought it was the coolest thing in the world..3 speed clutch........hahaha ..I bet you could get 5 people on that seat.....mine was red...with bad brakes

Old 03-13-2002, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the scoop. I paid $100 for it from my brother-in-law. The only history on it I knew at the time I bought it was that it was my first ride. I went with them to Burt Lake, MI when I was 15. Never rode a motor bike before that, I had the time of my life. Now on to the current events. I did some research on the net, talked to alot of folks about it. As for here in the USA, no parts to be found. That is that people have advertised. New Zealand, UK and Japan the bike is still popular enough to get parts. Like switches, head lights, body parts, etc. You can get Brakes, Cables, Piston & Head Gaskets here in the States. But as for mine. I tore it down, fixed what I could, painted the rest and ordered a switch w/ a key. The pipe was rusted away so I took it to a local muffler shop and had him weld in a new piece to repair the bad section. The bike fired up on the 3rd kick after I cleaned the carb and added new fuel and oil. The bike was last run in 85" for a total of about 5min. Before that it was in the 84" when I rode it. It has a total of 3,500 miles on it. I'm going to license it and use it as a town hopper this summer. It was well worth the $100 I paid and the extra $150 I put in to it. Got love remembering the old time. Now think back to your first ride, wish you had it?

Old 03-13-2002, 01:41 AM
The Facility

Glad to see you got it in running order. Good luck with the rest of your project. One other thing that I didn't mention before was that when locating discontinued parts, try calling some of the long time Suzuki dealers. You never know what's lying around on the shelves. We've been an established dealership for over 25 years and Kawasaki was our first franchise. We have enough "junk" in NOS parts to nearly build 3 or 4 bikes. Try some long time Suzuki dealers. Again...Good luck.

Old 03-13-2002, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks knowsalot