Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Backup Light

Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Backup Light

I'm fresh here, and a newbie! I was wondering if it is possible to equip a WARN 62017 ATV Backup Light to a Suzuki QuadRunner Ozark 250cc. My brother won't give me a positive answer on this, although he's a mechanic and does wiring and all. I know how to wire it straight to the battery and all, as when I applied to LED's to my 1990 Blaster. My question is, the Generator/alternator only gens 170 watts and the taillights are 21/5 watts = 4.2 watts and the headlights are 30/30 watts = 2 watts for both. Please do correct me if i'm wrong! My whole point is tho, can I get enough power from the battery itself to generate the WARN backup light? It's an extra 35watts, I was thinking about a 55 watt from Walmart, but will that blow the alternator/destroy the battery? I'll only be using it when I dump stuff, as in using it for 5-10 minutes.

(180 CCA battery 12V)^^

http://www.warn.com/atv/lights/ATV-BackUpLight.shtml

Old 08-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would go with a LED 4" or 6" light. You will have more output and should be able to find it for the same price online. Then you don't have to worry about if your system can handle it

Old 08-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Every led I found is well over $200 for decent bright one. Lol. Any ideas where I can found a nice one for under $50?

Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ebay. I have bought several off their that are just as good as the over priced ones.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:36 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

You are not going to be reversing much, if the lamp takes more than the alternator provides it will slowly run the battery down, but once you are going forwards the battery will soon recover. Wire the lamp through the ignition so you can't leave it on when the bike is switched off. If you do flatten the battery, charge it right away, after twenty-four hours of being flat, a quad battery is ruined.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I found 2 BRIGHT LED's, they both are 7 watts = 14. Which that shouldn't suck much power from the battery. I do have a switch to toggle them off and on, although I have no clue how to wire these to the ignition. I worry about someone turning the switch on and leaving it on over night, and ruining the battery. My next worry is, after I hooked them up, grounded them both to the back rack, and grounded the Toggle switch to the front rack.
NOW when pressing the back brake, they seem to get brighter. Please do reply if someone knows why they tend to get brighter when using the brake

I'll have to disconnect the wire from the battery every night till I can wire them straight to the ignition. Any help would be grateful!

Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

It is possible that Suzuki ran a wire for a reversing light in the loom. A switch is there if it has a reverse warning light on the speedo and all the bigger Suzuki King Quads have a reversing light as standard. Anyway, most quads have an accessory wire in the loom, some have a "cigar lighter" socket and you can take the "live when ignition on" feed from the back of that. On some bikes (but not all) there is a "live when ignition on" feed to one side of the horn.

I don't know why you would need to earth the toggle switch, and earth wires for the lamps are best connected to the battery negative or an existing earth lead.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

This battery has nothing wrong with it, nor it's going bad, but I do indeed have these 7watt LED lights connected straight to the + of the battery, and grounded to the frame of the suzuki 250cc Qaudrunner Ozark) I do have a problem, they tend to REALLY get extremely dem when shifting, and when pressing the back brakes they get extremely bright. The more throttle I have/RPM's they kinda flicker. I don't know if it's because they're cheap LED's or it's just not being grounded right. It could always be something to do with the wiring, I don't know tho I'll be connecting the (Red +) wire right into the ignition. Not sure if that will stop the flickering tho. Ty for the information Merryman. More would help out a lot

Old 08-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Ground the new lights to the battery negative, and the positive to the accessory wire if you can find one.