Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1985 LT250EF Won't Start Please Help ASAP

Old 08-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 LT250EF Won't Start Please Help ASAP

So, I started as a technician working on jet engines through the army and I have expanded my knowledge on my own to diesel and gas engines, etc.. However I have no experience with carburetors or 2-stroke/4-stroke engines. About a year ago I got a quad for free from a guy I was chatting with at Autozone when buying a few parts for my truck. He was moving and had no place to put it. This was up in Colorado as well. Well, I went and picked it up and it took a little while to get it to start, Had to coerce it with electric start and some brake cleaner. After that it ran great. Well, I had to store it outside under a tarp for the winter and from there I let it run till it ran out of gas and then stored it. During winter I moved to Kansas. I tried getting it to start at the beginning of summer but could not. I recently totaled my truck and need to get it started asap So I can go back and forth to work till I get some cash saved up.

Needless to say I drained the fuel, added new gas, made sure battery was charged. I am almost positive I get spark. But, I can get it to start with a spray of brake cleaner into the air filter compartment. However throttle was stuck when I tried the other day, I got it to move eventually. If I am not mistaken, this would be a carb issue not pushing enough fuel? How do I disassemble it and clean it and How is reassembly? does everything need to be measured?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sitting up,the carb is probably nasty and varnished up.Think the old Suzukis used Mikuni carbs back then(might have been Keihin?),plus remember some models had a choke primer,but can't remember which ones. Been too long.Hopefully these two videos can help on tearing down and assy,plus I'd get a carb kit or at least a needle and seat and clean the jets. No use in just cleaning one and possibly having to go back in if it still has problems.http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...TOR/parts.html

Old 08-15-2014, 03:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is in fact a mikuni carb however, can I just tear it down and clean it or do things inside have to be measured like float height, needle size, etc... Also If I got it started and when it did it revved ull throttle may I need to adjust the carb to Kansas as it is lower elevation? How would I determine that?

Old 08-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sometimes you can just clean one and get by with it,other times you can't. It's your call on this. After looking at the parts breakdown can see it's a Mikuni. On the float level just have the float parallel with the carb body when held upside down. Most Mikunis would do okay set like this or if it looks okay as it is,don't bend the small tang on the float arm.. Just make sure you can see daylight through the main and pilot jet,plus the float needle and seat needs to be clean and free moving. Q tips come in handy on this plus an air compressor and air gun to blow out all the passages. Just look at the videos,can give you the basics as this is a fairly simple carb.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, Thank you very much. Any specific cleaners you recommend or just carb and choke cleaner?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plain old carb and choke cleaner work for the most part. If really vanished up I used Berrymans in the gallon dip can. Not as strong a cleaner as it once was because of the EPA stepping in and still a little pricey,but needed only on really varnished up carbs where spray cleaner isn't good enough for.Watch the eyes as you spray as this stuff doesn't feel good if you get sprayed in the face.