Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1990 Quadrunner: Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Quadrunner: Wheel Bearing

I have a 1990 quad runner 4WD. The left front wheel has stopped turning. I'm assuming wheel bearing? Is this something someone with moderate mechanic skills can change? Any other possibilities?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I Have THE Same Problem could you tell me how you fixed yours the fourwheeler runs fine and I cleaned the carb but after about half throttle it acts like rev limiter kicks in

ps if there is any way that you
could help it would be greatly
appreciated thank you

Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Marshall,
This doesn't sound like the same problem. I have a wheel that won't turn.

However, I did have that problem a year or so ago. It was the voltage regulator. Someone on this forum suggested that I try running it with the lights on, and that helped a lot. That led us to conclude that the regulator was overvolting. I changed it and that did the trick.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by billmac
Marshall,
This doesn't sound like the same problem. I have a wheel that won't turn.

However, I did have that problem a year or so ago. It was the voltage regulator. Someone on this forum suggested that I try running it with the lights on, and that helped a lot. That led us to conclude that the regulator was overvolting. I changed it and that did the trick.
The regulator seems to be a common problem and turning the lights on seems to be a common fix. I'm glad to see your testimony about it

I suppose a wheel bearing could lock the wheel, but seems like it would make a lot of noise for days or weeks before it would lock solid like that. Usually what happens is the bearing gets really sloppy and you'd see one wheel leaning more than the other. I'm a bit more inclined to think the brakes locked somehow. Maybe the wheel cylinder locked. Maybe something fell apart inside and jammed the shoes. Of course, strange things happen and it very well could be the bearing. You'll have to take it apart and inspect.

I think you could handle the job if you're not totally new to turning wrenches Take a pic of the shoes and springs with your phone so you can figure out how to reassemble everything. Make sure you know where every spring goes. There is a ratcheting mechanism that can be kinda tricky to put back on near the wheel cylinder. Pay attention to that before you take it apart.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks!