Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Lt80 fmf fitting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt80 fmf fitting problem

i purchased an fmf fatty gold series and a power core 2 silencer last week and upon fitting i overtightened the bottom nut on the flange that connect the fmf to the cylinder and snapped a piece of my cylinder off, I've ordered a new cylinder which hasn't come yet so i the mean time i put some super steel epoxy on it left to dry and it worked pretty well so i though, i yanked on it before fitting and it held really well so i assumed it would be fine but when i got to the bottom nut again it snapped in 2 again, (was tightened in sequence and not overtight) the funny thing is there is a round rind that pre-fabricated to the fmf header that looks like some sort of gasket that they've put on as this then makes the space between the cylinder flange and the exhaust flange larger (stock almost flush bar the gasket) which in turn looks to be putting extra stress on the joint/flange on the cylinder, I've never had an fmf from new before and its the first time fitting 1 can anyone please help me is this ring supposed to replace the original gasket if not then what is it also am i fitting right, I've taken pics today to give you an idea but I'm unsure how to upload them please help me as i don't want this to happen to my new cylinder when it comes tomorrow, thanks in advance and sorry for long story dan..

Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The exhaust gasket should squish enough. I think you may have overtightened it.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have 2 different types of exhaust gasket for this lt80 a thick copper ring with some wire type stuff round the edge (genuine suzuki) and a metal crinkle type ring gasket (genuine suzuki) both were bought at different times from same shop from just asking for lt80 2005 exhaust gasket why would there be 2 types, I've been using the copper 1 does it make any difference or should i be using the crinkle type gasket, also just been reading through the fmf fitting instructions that i got with it and it says to fit with a bead of high temp silicone sealant to both header and silencer joint for better seal, would you of thought that it would should be fitted to cylinder without gasket ring and just high temp sealant around the ring thats on the pipe flange or does that sound silly, sorry I've no knowledge on fitting these and i know nobody at all even local mx shops etc that has any advice for me on this pipe for the lt80. cheers dude

Old 03-23-2014, 05:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

do u want me to upload a pic so u can see what I'm talking about?