Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

what cam is the best

Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what cam is the best

Ive got a stock 03 suzuki ltz 400. With white brothers exhaust. wich stage of hot cam will give you more power allaway around. would you deleat air box or make hole biger. probaly would haft to rejet. eny tips on going faster. when i nail it i want it to go

Old 11-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I had mine I just went with the Hot Cams I believe stage 1 (it's been a while), it was just the next step up from stock. When you go higher you run into more hammering of the valves and quite possibly sooner rebuild. They made a pretty good difference in power and unless you do more head flow work I don't think a bigger cam will gain much more. I had a Pro-flow intake and full Yoshi exhaust. I had to rejet of course and that is where you'll make the most out of the mods.

The Z is a reliable motor and the mods I did was about as far as needed to keep it that way. A high comp piston and head porting would be the next step, then might as well get an LTR.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input. probaly be best to keep it stock. but.it.does have.a.white bro.exhaust

Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

With the exhaust, you could go with the next step up in cams and remain reliable while getting somewhere around 7-8hp more with an intake also. It's when you go more than that and things start getting abused. The motor wakes up nicely with those mods. I had mine for 2 years after doing that and put somewhere around 4500 miles on it, including quite a few hour in the dunes and paddle tires. Had zero problems with it. Just use quality oil and don't run it bouncing off the rev limiter constantly and she'll hold up as good as any.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the advice. been thinking about kn filter up grade. what ever im in i allways want speed.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you want speed, you need aftermarket shocks.
Your motor is faster than your suspension can handle.
K&N:: your motor does not need the extra flow of the K&N.
Foam filters with a pre filter will keep more dirt out.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer

Thnks i did not know that. wbay shocks do you sugest

Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

There are tons of shocks and builders out there from mild to wild ($). I run PEP's ($$$).
May I suggest: Check back on this page for updates as we begin testing on the 2006 YFZ450
Pronounced G T Thunder. Laz is a great guy. Tell him I sent you.
He offers stock shock rebuilds that rival some big name aftermarket shocks at a much more affordable cost.
After you got the mighty Z handling speed and power, surely you'll ask about motor mods also. He can advise and help you with that. His motors are very dependable.